We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Not ‘Betty Green’?  (Read 3007 times)

John Proctor

Not ‘Betty Green’?
« on: October 02, 2008, 12:40:16 AM »
We received this lovely primula as ‘Betty Green’. Since noticing the AGS published Pimulas of Europe and America (Smith, Burrow and Lowe) lists that cultivar as “crimson with a clear yellow eye” on p. 193 in a list of “varieties of Primrose habit (or semi-Polyanthus habit)”, we have been calling it ‘Not Betty Green’. (We have a range of ‘Not …’ plants.) This picture was taken May 10. Does anyone recognize this?

87534-0

Cheers,
John P
Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Not ‘Betty Green’?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:08:24 AM »
Although it is a little darker than I'd expect, it could be P. vulgaris 'Sibthorpii" or 'Sibthorpiana' or sometime P. v. altaica. Not sure which is correct nowadays. I can confirm that 'Betty Green' is a bright, clear red, with not the slightest hint of lavender or purple about her colour. Lost mine years ago though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »
John, I would say it is Primula Groenekan's Glorie. Betty Green is a crimson indeed.
The picture was shown by Shelagh. See reply 98 and 102 in:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1294.msg32666#msg32666
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »
Dear John,
There's a nice picture of 'Betty Green' in Barbara Shaw's lovely book 'The Book of Primroses'. (Plate 32, page 48).
As the others have said, it's quite a dark colour.
Betty Green is also Dutch, Luit. (!!!)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
Indeed a fine primula, John ......we , too, have a goodly selection of "nots" !!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:53:13 AM »
Dear John,
There's a nice picture of 'Betty Green' in Barbara Shaw's lovely book 'The Book of Primroses'. (Plate 32, page 48).
As the others have said, it's quite a dark colour.
Betty Green is also Dutch, Luit. (!!!)

I know Giles. Dutch for 'green' is 'groen'.

The raiser of Betty Green and Lize Green was a certain Mr. J. Groen, before 1940.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal