We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 210948 times)

Carol Shaw

Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
Hi Maggi, yes of course all the non-internet users can order from me. I am just curious to know why those who are on the forum don't, or haven't. In part I think that is because on the AGS website the books are given far more prominence and, as this is someones 'day job' they have lots of time to put up info on new and upcoming titles along with pix of same. We are starting to put up info on the members booklist page but I wonder how often it actually gets looked at, the forum is what seems to attract the folk - for very good reasons!

Oh and if someone, anyone, can tell me how to get the AGS to respond to my requests for info on how to buy ZZ's book on Crevice Gardening for the SRGC I will be eternally thankful!  :(
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:06 PM »
'Buried Treasures' by Janis Ruksans is now available through ABEBooks, from a British supplier, (no doubt obtained from an American source) for £14.51 plus £2.80 post and package in the UK see http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=3&sts=t&an=Ruksans&y=16&x=45
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

derekb

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 07:29:41 PM »
 Carol,
        It is a good idea to post new books on here as most of us look most days.
I am sorry I was one of the guilty ones who ordered from Amazon, I ordered as soon as it came up before you made it known, I would always prefer to order from you as living down south this is one of the benefits that we can have. It is alright for people to find books cheap on some web site but if we do not order from you we loose all chance of finding some obscure book for our personal use so please carry on the good work.Would it be possible to ask you for a book that is not on the list as I have been looking for Orchids from seed I have found it now after a long time trying but you might have had more success.
Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
Amazon have finally mailed mine
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

derekb

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 07:54:27 PM »
And mine.
Sunny Mid Sussex

Carol Shaw

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »
Hi Derek and everyone else

Any time you are looking for a book that is not on the list just send me an e-mail and if it is available I will get it! I will put a complete, revised, list up on the book page in the next few days. The snag with the list in the secretaries pages is it is basically out of date before it is even in print. I'm working on ways of getting round this - with something like a section saying 'coming soon'. Of course if I didn't have the day job I'd be able to do so much more - unfortunately if I didn't have the day job I wouldn't have the money to spend on plants and bulbs and seeds and pots and, and, and.... so I guess I will just have to keep on with the time I have available.

Carol

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
I would be interested to see the names of the mystery plants if that is possible?  Did I miss the winning result ...  or is it just dementia setting in!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2007, 10:40:14 AM »
I've been holding my breath in anticipation for a week now

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 10:50:03 AM »
Mark, take a breath immediately otherwise it could be very bad for your health ;D

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »
Hi Brian, Mark et alia,

As you know Maggi has had computer problems and her health hasn't been the best of late and consequently hasn't been able to post the results of the book competition. I will save her the work - she has e-mailed me the results.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Winner is: .....  Fermi de Sousa

And as for the identities of the mystery plants:

Podophyllum peltatum - an emerging leaf of the American Mandrake
Beschorneria yuccoides - the flowers were just opening at the time of the photograph. Now fully open the flower spike stretches to about 2 metres
Lathyrus aureus - a nice colour in a pea, I think
Dryas drummondii - a nice fluffy seedhead
Weigela middendorffiana - certainly an odd-shaped flower for weigela
Astelia chathamica syn. A. nervosa var. chathamica showing the yellowish flowers which are not really that attractive. The foliage is the main attraction.
Fraxinus retusa var henryana (not sure of this last spelling - maybe 'henryii, whichever, called after Augustine Henry) I put this one in to puzzle the experts as it is quite an uncommon ash and certainly the flower is far from what one would expect from ash.

Now, I hope I have satisfactorily answered all questions. No correspondence will be entered into, no disagreement entertained - in other words, I am off now to the airport and off on holidays for a while. Keep well, everybody and a special 'Thank You' to all who entered and all who took an interest and to Timber Press who very kindly supplied the free book.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »
Have a good holiday Paddy.

Well done Fermi and congratulations, I hope you enjoy the book.

I will not reveal my score, suffice to say I will crawl back under my stone :-X

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2007, 05:29:43 AM »
Thank you, Paddy, for the book, I'll look forward to getting it after your holiday!
I hope you and your computer are feeling better soon, Maggi!
Carol, I'll have to take a closer look at the SRGC Book Shop before I order any new books, I have to admit that I usually put in a joint order with a friend who uses the AGS service, but I guess we can be persuaded!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2007, 12:05:34 PM »
well done Fermi! Maybe some seeds will go with the book?

Carol Shaw

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2007, 08:56:46 AM »
Congrats. Fermi! Been down south and only got back late Friday night - well by the time David got me home from the airport it was around midnight!

Fermi big snag with sending books to you guys is the mailing costs but I'm happy to give you a quote.
Carol

Carol Shaw

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2007, 07:17:24 PM »
Okay this is a possible new title for the book list - how many of you guys would be interested if I bought stock in?

ADVANCE INFORMATION SHEET

Title:          Ophrys - The Bee Orchids of Europe

Authors:       Henrik Ærenlund Pedersen
         and Niels Faurhodt

Imprint:      Kew Publishing
Specification:      234 x 156 mm, hardback
Page extent:      296
Illustrations:      illustrations, photographs and maps
Publication date:   July 2007
Price:          £33.00
ISBN:         978 1 84246 152 5
Rights:       © The Board of Trustees of the Royal             Botanic Gardens, Kew
• A long overdue modern treatment (i.e., a "popular monograph") of the genus Ophrys throughout its European range
• A new classification of Ophrys based on morphologically well-distinguished taxa which are hierarchically treated as species, subspecies or varieties according to ecological, geographic and evolutionary features
• Presents a new way to classify partly stabilized hybrid complexes in Ophrys
• Contains identification keys at both species and subspecies level, thus allowing the reader to adjust use of the keys according to own needs
• 226 colour photographs, 13 line drawings and 26 maps illustrate the morphological variation encountered in the especially variable taxa, their biology and distribution
• How to cultivate Ophrys plants in the greenhouse and garden
• Gives the best Mediterranean destinations to see Ophrys in the wild

Description
The genus Ophrys, the charismatic bee orchids and their relatives, are one of the most diverse and biologically fascinating groups of plants to be encountered in Europe, particularly the Mediterranean.

Ophrys – the Bee Orchids of Europe is an easy to use, comprehensive introduction to the plants found in Europe. It can be used as a field guide (with keys, descriptions and numerous colour photographs) and a standard reference (with chapters on structure, biology, evolution and conservation).  The chapter by Richard Manuel gives ample guidelines for cultivation for growers, and is especially helpful for conservationists introducing plants back into the wild.

The classification is based on a broad species concept, and offers an alternative to the finely split classifications of the genus that prevail in most recent field guides.

Finally, the chapter ‘recommended Ophrys excursions’ is ideal for planning field trips.

Author information
Henrik Æ. Pedersen is an associate professor at the University of Copenhagen, where he is curator at the Botanical Garden & Museum, Natural History Museum of Denmark. His research on the systematics, biogeography, ecology and conservation biology of orchids is focused in Europe, the Mediterranean and tropical Asia. Current projects include the preparation of contributions to Flora Nordica and Flora of Thailand. Henrik has studied and photographed orchids in 22 countries.

Niels Faurholdt trained as a forest and landscape engineer, has worked as a forest ranger and now teaches plant biology and plant identification at Roskilde Technical College, Vilvorde. He also runs a botanical consultancy firm and has studied the occurrence and conservation status of Danish orchids for many years. Niels has made more than 30 field trips to Mediterranean countries to study and photograph orchids, particularly bee orchids.

Carol

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal