We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: iris reticulata  (Read 1695 times)

cliffhirst

iris reticulata
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
advice required on growing reticulata iris in a cold greenhouse and the genral welfare of the bulbs after they have flowered.
Ihave planted about 10 square pots and planted the bulbs half way down the pot.composte 50/50 6ml grit and J I number 2.I do have cold frames. regards clifford
in Stoke on Trent in the midlands of England

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: iris reticulata
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »
Hi Cliff,
I would say that a good gritty compost, around 50% grit, water them now, then again in october and then you will probably not not have water again until you see growth appearing but plenty water while they are making growth.
It is important that once you have watered the compost it does not dry out completely.
Once they are in flower I would add potassium something like sulphate of potash and water that in. Then reduce watering as wet rot is a big problem with some of the reticulate irises and let them slowly go into dormancy.
It is basically the same treatment as for most of the bulbs I show on the bulb log.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal