We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Log 18-28 August 2008  (Read 7940 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Log 18-28 August 2008
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Hi Paul,

Could you tell me please if the JI compost you pictured is  of the new Genie range of 'eco' JI composts? This range does not seem to have got down here to the end of the known world yet.

Loved the pic of Watsonia pillansii- a lovely clear colour.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Log 18-28 August 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:41:19 AM »
Hi David,
The John Innes brand we use is "Green Ore" and comes from Wells in Somerset

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:27:13 AM »
Paul, or anybody else,
Would green ore have a website ?
I'd like to find some addresses where it's sold - preferably in Kent - I'd like to take some with me on one of my channel hops  ;D

Impossible to find any compost of that kind on the continent  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »
Haven't been able to find a Web Site Luc. Green Ore is the name of a village near to Wells in Somerset. Wells is about an hour and a half drive for me. It is a lovely little Cathedral City but only the size of a small town, Maureen and I often go there on our Wednesday jaunts.

Paul, if you get time would you be good enough to PM me the address and/or phone number of the manufacturer and then I will look into it further, good JI compost is now very difficult to find in garden centres.

Pic of Wells Cathedral below.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »
As David reports, no website, but their phone number is 01761 241378

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

afw

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »
Hi Paul,

Could you tell me please if the JI compost you pictured is  of the new Genie range of 'eco' JI composts? This range does not seem to have got down here to the end of the known world yet.

David,

The Genie range is available from wigglywigglers.co.uk.  but I'm sure you know this already!

Alan
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

Gerry Webster

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
"Green Ore" John Innes used to be available to amateurs  from Avon Crop Ltd. which has trade counters at Boston, Lincs. & Bracknell, Berks.  I don't know whether it still is since their main website is currently unavailable.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:11:25 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:23:49 PM »
As David reports, no website, but their phone number is 01761 241378

Paul

Paul, many thanks for phone number. I will give them a ring next week and check out general availability. I will report back accordingly on this thread if you don't mind.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »
Hi Paul,

David,

The Genie range is available from wigglywigglers.co.uk.  but I'm sure you know this already!

Alan

Alan, thanks for that-but at £4.00 for a 33 ltr. bag plus £3.75 for delivery I don't think I shall bother!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
Thanks David and Paul - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 07:43:40 PM »
Sorry I forgot to report back on my further enquiries about Green Ore Compost. I contacted the manufacturer, F A Smith, and asked about availability and it seems that they have few retail outlets outside the general area of Wells in Somerset. They do seem to rely on bulk customers such as Wisley. They gave me details on how to find their works and would be happy to supply me if I called in. This I shall do when next our Wednesday jaunts take us to Wells. The lady in the kitchen has just said 'if it smells it's not coming back in the car with me' ;D Oh yes it is!!

By the way I hope the Seramis users out there have had a look at Paul Cumbleton's current log.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »
Thanks for trying David !
Doesn't look I'll be able to get some though...  :'(  Pitty, it looks super stuff.  :(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »
Luc, I shall try a couple of bags to start with and then compare it with the brand of John Innes I currently use in my jam jar test. I put a small handfull of compost in an old jam jar, fill it with water, give it a good shake up, and leave it for a couple of hours. In this time the loam content in the compost will sink to the bottom of the jar and the humous content will be left floating. It's surprising how little loam there is in some brands of John Innes compost!! Provided that it passes my test, which it is sure to do if it is used at Wisley, I will then buy more.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
I put a small handfull of compost in an old jam jar, fill it with water, give it a good shake up, and leave it for a couple of hours.

Memories of school labs David! ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »
Provided that it passes my test, which it is sure to do if it is used at Wisley, I will then buy more.

Buy an extra bag for me David - put a stamp on it - you have my address....  ;) ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal