We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Some Gardeners Have Lot To Answer For  (Read 8616 times)

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Re: Some Gardeners Have Lot To Answer For
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Wish we had brown trout like the picture on this link. Another beauty from NZ. One day I will fish there, its on my list.

http://www.intoafish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »
there are now some pretty strict controls on NZ waterways to control the spread of pest species like Didymosphenia geminata, a real pest of a water weed that chokes rivers and smothers out insect life

83374-0

My pal Alex still catches plenty of biggies though like this 6 1/2 pound brown trout  :o

83376-1
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:05:50 AM by admin »

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
To whet your appetite Fred for your upcoming trip to NZ ,i went out with my brother fly fishing last night to Waituna Lagoon about 30 mins travelling time southeast to the coast from here.

The area was one of the first in the world to be recognized as a Wetland Of International Significance and besides a great habitat for wading birds and of course fishing ,there are cushion plants such as Donatia which are normally found in subalpine environments.
I have shown pics of these ,as well as Sun Orchids,(ie Thelymitras), in past postings).

The first pic is looking east earlier in the evening ---The sea is very close ,just over the gravel ridge to the right and although the mouth is now closed i presume there is some fluctuation of water level through seepage as sea tides come and go.

The second pic is my contribution to the nights activities --quickly photographed and released.

Followed by a view back to the west.

My brother and his black sidekick --to the right is our 4 wheeled mode of transport--(it's about 6 ks travel back along the beach to our vehicles).   

Finally just as the sun was going down at 10.30 pm John hooked into a nice 5lb+ jack ---Excuse the pun but my sibling looks as 'stunned as a mullet').LOL.

Cheers dave

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:48:01 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 09:33:50 AM »
This is a fascinating thread about fishing.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
Not too sure what relevance it is to a garden forum, but however........

A new hobby coming on Mark ?.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 10:42:41 AM »
No, I cant swim  :(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
Thanks as a keen trout fisherman myself it is really nice to be reminded of the spectacular wild trout fishing of New Zealand- it's also on my list of things to do. 8) Interesting though how well they have adapted particularly as trout are not native but as I gather they have no predators in NZ that's part of the reason the fishing is so good.

But now with all the regs over entry of new plants animals etc the question is could this species be introduced today :-\ perhaps you had better send em back  ;D
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »

Yet he can do the butterfly.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
You need to get that corrected Mark. My kids went to swimming lessons as soon as they could walk.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »
You need to get that corrected Mark. My kids went to swimming lessons as soon as they could walk.

Bit harsh that, Anthony, couldn't you have given the poor little souls a lift,? ::)

Seems very popular now to take tiny babies to swim with  parents... means the children  become real little water babies who make great progress and get an early love for this good exercise/fun.  Can't be bad.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
Thirty five years ago Vivienne's parents' neighbour's son drowned aged 7 in the River Allan, which runs past the football pitches in Bridge of Allan, and also through the centre of Dunblane. There are too many children drowned for want of lessons. We have a 'toast rack' over our pond to prevent the possibility, but you can't cover or drain every pond, river or canal, nor would I want it to happen.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »
I don't swim, either. Sure, we went to the baths every week when I was at school but I never got the hang of it. In my teens/20's I was an angler and for the last 25 years I have been working alongside the River Spey etc!
No, I don't say that children (of all ages) shouldn't swim, I think that they should. It's just that I never have although I love being alongside and in the water.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
One of my first swimming memories is from when I was about ten years old. We, a group of friends of my own age, were playing ball on a local beach. When the ball went into the water I was sent to get it as I was the swimmer. All went fine but I was taken by the current, which very fortunately was an incoming tide, and was carried about two miles into the harbour. My friends had grabbed the clothes and cycled round to meet me at the harbour wall where I dressed up and we went home. Needless to say, our parents never heard of this.

When much older I was manning a crash boat for a regata. All went well until the engine caught fire, huge flames and my friend and I had to jump for it. Fortunately the boat wasn't badly damaged and we climbed back on board but had to paddle back to the marina.

It was a peculiarity of fishing folk in parts of Ireland to deliberately not learn to swim. The thought was, I think, that the end would be better coming quickly. As part of swimming lessons for fishermen I have donned the full gear worn on trawlers and jumped into the sea. It is a frightening feeling getting waterlogged, especially the wellingtons which suddenly weigh a tonne.

Still love swimming and have a 16 year old who does also. We go for a swim each day in the summer and this year he did a one mile swim with me on several occasions. He does wear a wetsuit though which I look on as completely sissy.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »
It does come in handy. James and I did a scuba course and two dives (I did the SSAC diving tests many years ago) in Mexico 2007. We have also, as a family, done the 'undersea trek' and swimming with dolphins there. We went white water rafting in Bali too, in 2004. That was fantastic, especially as there were tiny swiftlets flying up and down the river. Lucy was 5 then and a capable swimmer. I didn't learn to swim until I was 9, one day a week at Ramsden Street Baths in Huddersfield. In six months I had passed the 'half mile' badge (with no cheating or touching the ends!).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:30:25 PM by Anthony Darby »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal