We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerine 2008  (Read 28305 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Nerine 2008
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
I'm far from an expert but have had a quick look at the PBS Wiki-could it be this http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/files/Nerine/Nerine_gibsonii_CM.jpg
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

massonia

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
yes, gibsonii was also my suggestion  ;) - thank you for your confirmation!
Greetings from Austria! Zone 6a

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »
Update on the sowing of Nerine
I sowed in a mix of sand and soil with a little extra sand on the top. Most of the seeds where in the top but some where put down a bit in the mix.
This was done in November/december and it has been a "cold winter with low temperatures and only recently it has been above 15 degrees celsius for longer periods and last week it was above 15C also at nights so there have been some germination in the pot.
At first it almost looked like grass but looking at the pics make hope it is Nerines. There are in the second picture a "fatter" leaf that might be the real thing and the rest just weed but I hope all are the real deal but I would like to be advised if I am wrong or if I have a lot of small Nerines coming along.

Once again thanks for the seeds :)  8)

All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
They certainly look like nerine seedlings to me Joackim.  I planted Gerd's Nerine bowdenii v. wellsii in the autumn and after a long wait a few came up and then more kept germinating for 2 months. Now I have over thirty vigorous little plants.  Hopefully they will be hardy.

I saw N. bowdenii Stephanie bulbs for sale at Jacques Amand's booth at the RHS. Didn't risk taking them back, silly me.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
Massonia,

My first thought on seeing your white unknown with the pink stripe was Nerine pudica.  Looks very similar anyway.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »
John Thanks for the input :)
They look well so I hope I will get  some of them into blooming size some day  8)
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal