We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione 2007  (Read 39019 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: Pleione 2007
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
Paul, Lesley,

Looking at my records, this came originally from the Gillanders. It's not impossible that the name got swapped there (my Calycanthus floridus came to me as Sinocalycanthus for example), but they didn't offer that many other Pleiones to mistake it with (if you understand me).
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »
Rob,

Was about to email you about it, as didn't want to mention where I got it from without checking first.  How yellow does it appear in your climate?  You guys don't normally get the spring heat like we do (high 20'Cs last week here for example, for those reading who are wondering) so I figure yours may be higher intensity of colour due to less bleaching.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2007, 11:07:28 PM »
Paul,

Not as yellow as I remember it from previous years, but still more jaundiced than yours & with a pink tinge to the outer petals. I got this back in 2000; pretty sure I remember Ken saying they'd originally imported them straight from Europe. I think it's just an unnamed seedling from the grex.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »

You guys don't normally get the spring heat like we do (high 20'Cs last week here for example, for those reading who are wondering)

??? ??? ??? We are to have 8C today - if we're lucky. It certainly isn't that yet (mid day) and there are a few flakes of snow falling. Up to low 20s last week tho'. Don't we just LOVE this weather. :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2007, 12:30:14 AM »
Paul & Lesley,

Well it was in the mid 20s a few days ago - warm enough to open the first flower on the Thelymitra in the garden. Back to 7 or 8 overnight with a high in the teens the last couple of days. I think they were forecasting mountain snow at the end of last week. Just off to post the Simpliglottis Paul, good luck with it.

Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2007, 01:07:26 AM »
Rob,

Sounds like you're posting me some sort of disease!!  :P  Yes, I'm hoping they will do OK as well.  At least there will be enough to have a bit of an experiment with them hopefully.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:07 AM »
Hi Paul,
An unexpected discussion developping here  ;D
What makes me doubt the most about the correct name of your (beautiful) Pleione is the markings on the lip.  Shantung is normally spotted brick red.
There are white (or almost white) Shantung around though but all are spotted much darker.  Look higher in the thread (pages 3-4) where you'll find Shantung 'Topscore', 'Ducat' and 'Ridgeway' from myself and more from Hans.  There are also some Grandiflora pix from Hans, they come pretty close to your specimen.

Whatever the name though, it's a nice flower and after all, that's the
main thing.
I hope you show us some more.  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

johanneshoeller

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »
Now the last Pleione praecox is flowering

Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
Such elegance!
 I see you have some snow already, Hans .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
Great flowers Hans !
I really have to consider having some of these autums/winter flowering Pleione...
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal