We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early February 2007  (Read 45998 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Early February 2007
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
I like your Glasgow shots Ian. In fact, for a lassie whose ancestry is all Scottish, it would be great to see more of any and all parts of Scotland from posters who live north of the border.

I also like the hellebore seedling. It almost looks as if it would be a hybrid between hellebore and hepatica. Now there's a nice little project for someone.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »
I to like the Hellebore with his open flower, Helleborus and Hepatica are both Ranunculacea but I dont think you can make crossings with both plants.
Lesley I like the marbled leaves to, Asarum maximum have also marbled leaves but the flower steals the show I think, it is not for nothing that they called it the panda flower, here a picture from a plant I sow 3 years ago
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 09:03:30 PM »
A lovely three-eyed panda Chris. Thanks for showing it. We don't have many Asarums here but I'll have to look for more I think.

The hellebore x hepatica comment was tongue-in-cheek but all the same, maybe it would be possible using chemicals to start off the process. Can't odd things like that be done with colchicine? But I'm no chemist or geneticist of course.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Ian, A very striking photo of Squinty Bridge and a testament to your 'old camera'. Also an interesting Hellebore, it's amazing what turns up in garden centres etc. these days.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Mike Hopkins

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »
Thought you might like to see my first tulip of the year, Tulipa orthopoda. This is the first time of flowering of this species for me so I am not sure just how far ahead it is.

biodiversite

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
For me, in the garden, to make the link with your photos, it's the time of Helleborus atrorubens ex Slovenia, which replace H. purpurascens, finishing.
I love the Hyacinthellas you show Tony ! I don't know where it is possible to find seeds, but I have Scilla aristides, from Algeria, bought in dutch trade

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mike, hope this is the first of many plants.

There was an interesting variation in the heleborus niger on offer, £2.48 a plant and as I got 4 in the pot only 62pence each.

I have always been amazed by the quality I get from my first 1.3Mpixel digital camera John. I am about to by a new compact that will fit easily in my pocket and can be carried all the time but I will never part with the old Olympus Camedia C-960 not that any one would want to buy it any way.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 08:27:58 PM »
the Panda flower is 5 cm wide, Asarum asaroides wil also that big when it is open, Asarum kumugeanum is only 1.5cm wide
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »
All so interesting Chris. Please show the A. asaroides when it's open.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:41 PM »
Fabulous flowers, Chris.

Maggi, Looking back to your posting of the 2nd, I am delighted to see you use so effectively a word which I had to now thought to be exclusively Irish -'eejit'. Brilliant word, perfectly expressive.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:07 PM »
Paddy, we Scots may have all but lost our Gaelic, though, in truth, the vast majority of us never had it to lose, so  had no inkling as to your house name ( thanks for that, by the way!) but we use "eejit" a good deal... most likely on account of our (self) perceived superiority!

It's snowing again here, so not much chance this week of Aberdeen catching up with all you folks with so many flowers out !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 02:10:13 AM »
Funny, I always thought "eejit" was an Australian word. I guess it's a case of wherever the cap fits. NOT suggesting it fits better on Aussies than on others, just that there are some, everywhere.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 07:16:06 AM »
We only know "eejit' from watching re-runs of "Father Ted" on TV....and other words which we won't mention here!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »
Fermi,
You have then received a broad Irish education. 'Fr. Ted' will bring you up to speed with Irish expression.

And those other words which are unmentionable for you just add spice and variety to language.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »
Father Jack is one of my heroes. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal