We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Platanthera leucostachus CC061501  (Read 2645 times)

SueG

Platanthera leucostachus CC061501
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:39:31 AM »
I received this seed as part of the Seed Ex. I think it should be Pl. leucostachys and is a white bog orchid from California.
Does anyone have any simple tips for how I might germinate it that don't involve flasks of agar and sterilising the entire kitchen and everything in it! (I'm just not that sort of a person at all) I don't need to germinate every seed either. I already grow a fair number of other orchids, as house plants and in pots outside but have not tried before from seed. Should I treat it like Disa seed ie sterilise the compost with boiling water, sow the seed and cover with clingfilm?
Any tips welcome
Thanks

Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Platanthera leucostachus CC061501
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:01:17 AM »
Sue, for what it is worth, I would do as you suggest: short of all the technical stuff, it is surely the best idea for the likes of thee and me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueG

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »
Hi Maggie
Sounds good to me, unless anyone else has anything better to suggest I'll give it a go.

Sue

Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Jim_in_mi

• Lansing, Michigan USA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »
Sue
flasking orchid seed at home doesn't have to be that difficult or involved.  I flask orchid seed, as aseptically as I can, in a fish aquarium sprayed on the inside with alcohol.  Ready mixed sowing media is not to difficult to find, and all you need is a pressure cooker to sterilize the flasks and media, some people use a microwave for that.
There is a website, US based, Kitchen Culture Kits, that has great information on doing this at home. 
The difficult part, I have found, with these temperate orchid species is finding the protocol for vernalization etc.  Tropicals are easy, just put the seedson the media and if they are good, and you have the right media, you get germination at room temps.
Of course, this still may be more than one would want to take on for 1 seed packet, though I find it addicting and always have my eyes open for more seed!
Good luck
Jim
Central Michigan, Zone 5/6 (getting warmer!)

"The lesson I have thoroughly learnt, and wish to pass on to others, is to know the enduring happiness that the love of a garden gives."
Gertrude Jekyll

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal