We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calandrinia  (Read 2514 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Calandrinia
« on: January 28, 2007, 04:37:37 PM »
As I already grow a fair range of Lewisia I thought I would have a go at another member of the Portulacaceae family and I have seed of rananculina, colchaguensis,grandiflora, gilliesii and umbellata. From what I have read I am getting different messages on sowing times from Spring to Autumn, and in heat and no heat. Is there another Calandrinia grower out there with some advice from experience please?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:44:12 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Calandrinia
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:18:07 PM »
David,
I used to grow some Calindrinia a long time ago, I think grandiflora and umbelata. As far as i can remember I sowed them when I got them , so that would be spring. They grew quickly and I think flowered the same year but were not easy to keep, They acted like annuals or short lived perennials with me although they occasionally seeded around in scree areas. Long time ago and I haven't seen them much since then. They were lovely and worth having a bash at.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:44:27 PM by Maggi Young »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »
I think C. grandiflora actually IS an annual, but spectacular. I've had several others from Flores and Watson collections over the years but never had a single seed germinate. C. umbellata is good though, as Susan says, well worth a go.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:42:35 PM »
Thanks Susan and Lesley, I will give them a go.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Calandrinia ranunculina: seeds sown third week in January = approx 10. seeds germinated  = 10. Verdict = great joy. Now about an inch high and I will pot them on next week. Nothing showing yet on any of the other Calandrinia species I sowed = gloom!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal