We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus asturiensis, N. triandrus and Fritillaria legionensis seeds available  (Read 5561 times)

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Looking for Lilium and Iris seeds specially, I offer

Narcissus asturiensis
Narcissus triandrus subsp. triandrus
Fritillaria legionensis

Also:

Gladiolus illyricus
Asphodelus fistulosus

Thank you in advance,

Rafa.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:52:15 PM by Maggi Young »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Rafa,

I hadn't come across that Fritillaria name before and went onto google to have a look for it..... one of the first that came up were your pics from back in May posted here on the SRGC.  What a colour range.  Amazing Frit that I hadn't heard of before, and I must have missed it when you posted it here.  Very cool Frit!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rafa

Yes it is! is very variable and big.

arillady

If you are not putting the seeds in the SRGS seedlist I would like a couple of the Narcissus asturiensis to try and I will send some aril seeds in response. Must see if I can do the first of my aril daubing today between the clump of flowers but I do have by doubts that they will set seed. I will also try to collect some of the pollen for others.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Rafa, if they would interest you I have some Lilium nanum and Nomocharis mairei. I already owe you.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rafa

Thank you very mucht to both, but  I'm affraid the parcels that I sent to Pat and Fermi some time ago, were burned in the customs.

I want to send also some Crocus seeds to Marcus Harvey, but If my parcels don't arrive, maybe it is not useful...

I labeled every seed packet cleary with printed labels and precise data collection.

Of course I will send to the SRGC all the species that I am collecting, but I think seed offers in the the forum are very interesting and useful to the people specially interested in.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Rafa,

If quarantine seized the parcels then letters would have been sent to Fermi and Pat.  Anything that is seized is held for 30 days before displosal, unless they are contaminated with some sort of pest that must be destroyed immediately.  I have had occasional seed packets taken from things I've brought in, but I am always told, and even if the whole shipment is taken I have always received a letter telling me they have been seized.  Depending how long ago you sent them, is it possible they have been held up in the mail somewhere on the way to them?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Stephen Vella

Hello Rafa and Paul,

I just had a look at the import data base from Aqis and Fritillaria legionensis is not listed and Asphodelus fistulosus is a prohibited species(weed) So I would say they have been seized.

Like Paul says they will post Fermi a letter saying why the seeds have been held and are given 30 days before given a choice to return to sender,destroy or right up a case for the entry of a new species like the Frit legionensis and would most likely be let in, if one bothers to fill out the 15 page document.

But if the seeds were brought in with their seed capsules these are likely to be destroyed.

Its easy to bring in seeds into Australia, send seeds only, no frass or seed capsules and have the reciever do their home work and see if they are allowed entry by looking at the Aqis Import condition data base.

Send the Crocus seed to Marcus it should get through but send a note of what species, im sure Marcus would know what is allowed through but they maybe an anomaly, still worth a check with Aqis Import data base.

Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Thank you very mucht to both, but  I'm affraid the parcels that I sent to Pat and Fermi some time ago, were burned in the customs.
I labeled every seed packet cleary with printed labels and precise data collection.
Hi Rafa,
I hadn't heard anything from AQIS about any seizures; had they contacted you directly?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

I replied privately to Rafa to let him know that his seeds arrived today without being intercepted at all anyway. A parcel that my daughter sent from London took 18 days so I think there must be a backlog or something as parcels usually take less time.
Lesley and other New Zealanders I always allow a fortnight as it takes longer going sideways than diagonally!!!!
If AQIS grabs parcels they always let me know what they have grabbed and why - I received seeds of an iris that was sent with the synonym name which was not on the list but they did warn me that next time......!!!! I have filled out those many paged questionaires to get seed in. If we don't do this there is not  the chance of succeeding  or future seed orderers getting their orders. I do try to check AQIS before ordering now - have printed off the Rosa, Iris, Narcissus and Dianthus lists for quick reference plus the website is in my favourites now.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Rafa

Thank you to all, it would be a shame if you can't finally receive my seeds.

Fermi, I sent your parcel before Pat's one, so I hope it will arrive in some days.

Anyway I will send you my recently seed collection.

All the best,

Rafa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Much the same here Pat. A lot of stuff has come through recently without being inspected. Actually we have a statutory obligation to send such packets to MAF for inspection but.... I figure if they don't do their job, it's their problem, not mine.

I've printed out permitted lists for Fritillaria, Crocus, Iris, Primula and it does save a lot of time, but yes, the Biosecurity Index is in my favourites as well and is used at least a couple of times each week.

Here too, if a packet of seed is held, we're contacted about it and given the options of destroy at no cost to us, return to sender (at huge cost, $50-$80 for a very few packets but I send then a stamped addressed envelope and a $5 note and they always let me away with that) or assessment for admittance. That one's a no-brainer. It costs thousands!

When returning to sender, they like us to have seed returned to the ACTUAL sender but I've had that argument before. It's no use returning it to AGS or SRGC for instance. Their seed exchanges have finished for the year and they can't use a few packets returned weeks or months later. So I get it sent to a rock-gardening mate who at least can make use of it. As I've pointed out several times, because I've paid my sub, the seed belongs to me even if I can't have it. I should therefore be able to say where it's sent to. Thy've accepted that so far.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Hi Rafa,
nothing had arrived here by Friday, but if they were intercepted by AQIS they may still take another week.
Just a warning that Narcissus asturiensis (and assoanus, in fact any Narc. starting with "a") is not on ICON! This was probably a computer glitch as I'm sure it used to be!
Paul,
if you really want Asphodelus fistulosus I may still have one left - I got it labelled as A. acaulis hybrid! It certainly looks like it would have weed potential here so I've kept in deadheaded and in its pot, but I noticed a new seedling/offshoot in growth over the weekend. It just goes to show that there is a good reason for the Quarantine restrictions!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Fermi,

I have one Asphodelus and while it is interesting, it doesn't really do a lot for me.  I think I collect enough other things.  ::)

Rob,

I could have sworn the other day that when I looked up F. legionensis out of interest it was there on the quarantine list.  Definitely not there when I rechecked it today, so must have been something else I was checking.  Senility must be setting in, which is kind of sad at 39.  :o  No unkind comment from any of the rest of you either... I have NOT already been senile for years.  :P
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
I have NOT already been senile for years

Mate, if you don't want rumours like this going around you'd better not start calling people by the wrong names.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal