We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lapiedra martinezii  (Read 5600 times)

Alberto

Lapiedra martinezii
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Hi All,
here is my Lapiedra martinezii, in the Amaryllidaceae family, blooming for the first time. Two floral scapes arose from the leafless bulb. The flowers last only one day closing definitely in the evening. They are lemon-scented at midday. It comes from south of Spain.

Alberto
Italy
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:05:58 PM by Maggi Young »
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Re: Lapiedra martinezii
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »
Enchanting, Alberto! I know nothing about it!   Thanks for that link, Rafa.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »
You can SEE that it is scented. And yes, that's a silly statement but that thick, waxy look cries out that it would be deliciously perfumed. I'd have expected something more lush than lemon though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37:49 AM »
Alberto,

That is stunning.  Never heard of the genus before, but definitely will keep an eye out in the future. I love "pure" flowers like that.  Is it something that is in collections, or is it one of these obscure genus that we only ever see in places like this? ???
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:40:46 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »
That is stunning.  Never heard of the genus before, but definitely will keep an eye out in the future. I love "pure" flowers like that.  Is it something that is in collections, or is it one of these obscure genus that we only ever see in places like this? ???
And what's even better is that this species is on ICON so is allowed into Australia! Now we just need someone to send us some seed! Something else to out out for on the Seedex lists!
Thanks, Alberto and Rafa, for showing it to us.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
Fermi,

That means someone here at least is likely to be growing it.... it's obscure enough I'd imagine that it wouldn't have been added without someone requesting it?  Yes, need seed!!  ;) ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:07 AM »
And what's even better is that this species is on ICON so is allowed into Australia! Now we just need someone to send us some seed! Something else to out out for on the Seedex lists! 

It is a little beauty.  The good news is, I do have it,
The bad news is, it only flowers after a hot summer ... that's twice in however many years that I've been growing it.  And the flowers last a few hours, which cuts the chance of seed to about zero.  So little chance of seed from me getting into the exchanges, however it has been listed on the AGS seed exchange several times in the last few years, so someone somewhere is succeeding with it.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »
Diane,

Should flower well for us here then.  ;D  Once we have it we should be able to get good flowering (and hopefully therefore lots of seed) from it and be able to spread it around.  ;)  At least if someone can get it to Fermi there is a good chance of it being grown to it's best potential anyway!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:39:35 PM »
I will collet this species but I'm affraid it will be too late to send SRGC seedslist, so I will offer through the forum.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
Rafa
Could I be put on what I expect will be a very long list of forumists who would like seed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:04:10 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:43:35 AM »
Rafa,
as I mentioned before it is allowed into Australia! So if you have some spare I'd love to try it.
Still no sign of the other seeds so I presume they are sitting on a customs desk somewhere!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:07:48 AM »
Fermi,

It just took seed from Hans 11 and a bit days to get to me here in Canberra, which is rather longer than it usually takes from the Northern Hemisphere to get to me here, so there is likely some backlog in the system somewhere.  It was opened by quarantine on the way.  Maybe yours will get through soon.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »
What a beautiful species. I've heard that it exists also in Portugal, but I've never seen it.

Rafa, don't forget me when you get some seeds, ok? :-*
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Juan Fornes

• Nature admirer, birds lover & bulbs worshipper
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:46 AM »
  Lovely flower, Alberto. One of my favourite wild bulbs here in Spain. Please let me add some pics:
A) buds and flower
B) flowers
C) fruiting capsules
D) Leaves from my recently re-potted plants ( so not at their best at that moment...)
E) Though leaves seem from two Lapiedras, the one at the left is from Pancratium (=Vagaria) parviflorum, and the one at the right from Lapiedra. See how strikingly similar they are! Even flowers are very similar, and P. parviflorum comes from the other side of the Mediterranean sea. Hope to take pictures this summer if lucky enough to have this Pancratium in flower (I have just got them this year

Cris, I don´t think you could find it in Portugal: literature says it is spread from Castellón province (very rare here already), south to Málaga and then in North Africa. Anyway, fortunately plants don´t understand of political artificial boundaries, so maybe it could be found in south Portugal (maybe in the impressive cabo de San Vicente?)

Juan Fornes in Valencia, E. Spain. Zone 10 (not so bad...)

When a man moves away from nature, his heart becomes hard. (Native american proverb)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal