We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newtonmore trip  (Read 4665 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Newtonmore trip
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Roma,

Would love to see pics of your red squirrels if you have any?  Interesting that the reds don't seem to bother the bulbs..... all the more reason to get rid of the greys that are out-competing them!  ;D

Maggi,

I wonder how many people out there actually think that Haggis really ARE bred.  I see enough jokes about haggis farms etc that I'm sure there must be a lot of people out there who believe that there are farms for breeding them, instead of the innards and offal etc that are really involved in the process.  :o (where is the smiley for barfing when you need one!?  ;))
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »
I admit that haggis farms are a joke, mainly for tourists from down under. They are very difficult to breed in captivity and I don't know of anyone who has yet made a commercial success of this. Fortunately they breed like rabbits in the wild and are readily trapped, hence the large numbers available in game shops.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
Are these the haggis that have one leg longer than the other so that they can run effectively around the hillsides?

The thought of a stuffed sheep's stomach running around in the wild is quite offputting!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
Paul, I think these are the smileys you need:

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
Maggi,

Yeah, that pretty well sums up my intellectual thoughts on haggis.  Never actually tried it though so I will reserve my physical reactions to it until I have done so.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »

The thought of a stuffed sheep's stomach running around in the wild is quite offputting!!  :o

I absolutely agree with you Paul. The haggis, though of wild origin, is a sensitive and frail creature and that they should have to run around the hillsides is an outrage. There should be well sheltered and even luxurious spa-like buildings where they can be raised in comfort and ease, out of rain, frost and mud. We do these things better in NZ and I may even bring one over for you (I'll declare it of course). I'm sure Otto or Fermi will be happy to cook it suitably for your delectation. Naturally it will be humanely killed first.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »
Lesley,

I look forward to that immensely!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal