We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Newtonmore trip  (Read 4684 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Newtonmore trip
« on: July 26, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
In a week or so we are going to be in Newtonmore for a few days, and would like to relax with some botanising and birdwatching. Can anyone suggest places in the vicinity, other than Loch Garten?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Newtonmore trip
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
Lovely grub and ospreys to watch while you eat at the Boathouse Restaurant at Loch Insh, near Aviemore.

All sorts of little birds and, I'm told, good cakes, at Inshriach.

My favourite spot for orchids, earlier in the year, probably full of fabulous bog asphodels by this time... is up a little road to Tullochgrue/ Blacktop.... just delightful and good walks around there too.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »
Hi Anne
For birds there is the Loch Insch nature reserve, most famous for winter waders and swans but there should be a range of summer birds. Loch Garten for the ospreys, now fledged but still in the area until the end of August - also keep an eye open for them over the River Spey and any lochs. There is the ancient Caledonian Forest probably most accessible at Rothiemurchus where you might be lucky enough to see crested tits and you could go up to Cairngorm to look for ptarmigan and snow bunting.

For flower interests there is Ardguish Garden near to Boat of Garten and there should be a whole range of flowers around the Northern Corries of Cairngorm and along the plateau. If you are tempted to take a ride up Cairngorm on the funicular be warned that you are not allowed out onto the mountain. Its a conservation issue that I personally don't agree with and have repeatedly argued against it. however, you and Barry are fit and should have no trouble walking.
Enjoy your visit.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »
Who, me? Fit?  ;D ;D Thanks for your suggestions, folks, we seem to have plenty of ideas.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »
All sorts of little birds and, I'm told, good cakes, at Inshriach.
Maggi, you are a mistress of understatement! Those cakes are not just good - they are worth the trip to Scotland on their own! Not only that but you can sit and watch siskins and red squirrels on the feeders a couple of feet away while you eat them - heaven! We hadn't realised that the reds have such pale tails, I don't remember Tufty's being that colour...

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »
We also had good views of squirrels at Loch Garten, as well as a soggy and fed-up looking osprey chick waiting for his fish supper. We enjoyed the pine forests at Rothiemurchus, and the Insh marshes too. Maybe my best moment (though the cakes came a close second) was when we went to look for a plant that we'd seen on our last trip 30yrs ago, which I vaguely remembered was at somewhere called (something)bridge. I had a look at the map and let luck take us - we found it first stop! Here it is Goodyera repens.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
Now here are a couple of others to show and ask about. First some more squirrels, this time at Loch Garten (didn't Tufty have tufty ears too?), then a Scotch Argus butterfly, then a furry caterpillar that I'm hoping someone can identify. Finally some rather splendid fungi, which we think might be chanterelles, but maybe someone can tell us.
We had a fantastic time, too short a stay. The journey home was rather exciting, with knee deep floods around Edinburgh, torrential rain at Lamberton, and road-closed notices on the road to Edrom. Really, the water wasn't thatdeep!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:27:43 AM »
Thanks Anne, for sharing this lovely trip with us. The squirrals are beautiful and have such lovely tails. S. Nutkin comes from a very photogenic family.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:43:53 AM »
Not only that but you can sit and watch siskins and red squirrels on the feeders a couple of feet away while you eat them - heaven!

Anne,

So were the siskins and red squirrels tasty while you ate them?  I thought the squirrels were much too cute to be eaten.  :o ;)

Seriously, the squirrels are just so adorable aren't they?  Red much more so than grey.  Yes, I'm sure there are other squirrels with tufty ears, but yours are really beautiful, particularly with the wonderfully contrasting tail.  They really are the epitome of "cute" aren't they?  Unless they're coming in to dig up your crocuses and bulbs I suppose.  ::)  Thanks so much for sharing the pics.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 09:21:38 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:21:27 AM »
Hi Anne, pleased that you enjoyed your trip.
Yes, the fungus are chanterelles - just coming into season and very tasty; much more so than red squirrels.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 01:23:10 AM »
According to Gordon Ramsey, squirrels are very tasty indeed and it would be a way to control the greys I suppose.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
OOPS - I didn't mean it to come out like that!  :-[ The only wildlife we ate was a haggis, and I understand they are bred specially, like grouse.  :P

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
Anne,

I knew you didn't MEAN it like that, but had to point out the wonderful turn of phrase!  ;D  Can't help myself.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
The only wildlife we ate was a haggis, and I understand they are bred specially, like grouse.  :P
Yes, Anne, that's quite right. Did you not take time for a tour at one of the Haggis farm visitor centres? I'm told they are a popular vistor attraction , usually after a visit to a whisky distillery...... ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »
Anne,

We live close to a wood and have red squirrels eating peanuts on our kitchen windowsill.  They only have ear tufts in the winter.  The colour varies a bit but we don't have any with such lovely bushy blonde tails just now.  Some are a uniform bright red including the tail .  Others are dark to very dark along the back getting lighter down the sides.  The dark ones have dark tails in winter but they fade to blonde in summer.  They are growing in their winter coats now , some with dark hair growing in the blonde tails as if they have  been dying their hair and have not been touching up the roots.

Paul,

Red sqirrels do not seem to dig up and eat bulbs but they do a bit of damage digging holes to bury peanuts, especially if they do it in newly planted pots. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal