We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chipping/Twin-scaling type question  (Read 112977 times)

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
Re: Chipping/Twin-scaling type question
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »
'Fresh fish' and 'the piano', not to mention 'the trail of the lonesome pine' (wonder if they saw any pink trilliums?), oh, and mustn't forget the jigsaw puzzle. ;D

Towed in the Hole, The Music Box (won an Oscar for this and I have been up the steps used in the film), Way Out West and lastly Me and My Pal.

I guess that we should get back on topic.
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
I read somewhere else on the Forum :
Had an email from a Scottish friend today saying they at long last found a brain in England but it was 2,000 years old.  I was puzzled until I saw the news tonight. 

johnw
[/color]

After googling a bit, I found out that Yorkshiremen found their brains ... at last  ::) ::) ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:07:26 PM by Lvandelft »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »
Oooooooooo, that hurt! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »
Dear friends,
I can't resist to ask: How was it possible to start with a chipping/twin-scaling question and end with Laurel & Hardy and an ancient brain? ??? ??? ???

There was a speach from my father: some guys start to talk about Kappes (cabbage) and finish with Klavier (piano)!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »
We call it Chinese Whispers Gerd, where you start by whispering a message to one person who then passes it on, and so on until it finally comes back as something quite different ::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
Just like the old one-'send reinforcements we're going to advance' reached the other end of the line as 'send three and four pence we're going to a dance'   (three and four pence being part of pre-decimalised currency in the UK)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2008, 09:53:47 PM »
Oh a brain! I thought you were talking about an ancient Brian! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Steady on Anthony, not quite so ancient! :'(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
Even if it is not exactly chipping I could not find a better place to post this.
I was suprised about a snowdrop a friend sent to me in the green but thanks to the post received yellowish brown last year. The conditions it arrived were really bad and also the bulb looked not very happy. I treated it with some fungicid but thought it would not be able to recuperate.
Checking it yesterday it seems it had lost the main shot but prduced various new shots of different size.
Now I wonder if removing the main shot would be a viable for multipling snowdrops - it should produce  fewer new bulbs but of larger size than using twin - scaling ::)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

loes

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
There is  galanthus White Cloud which makes many little bulbs and still blooms,no need to remove the flower.
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
Like i always say Hans, Nothing beats Snowdrops!!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »
   There was a question about info on chipping and growing on chips so I've gathered th some stufff  from the Bulb Log and elsewhere in the forum: 

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2004/240804/log.html

Bulb chipping 1year on

Previously on the log I have shown the technique of chipping Narcissus bulbs and here is an updated picture showing, on the left, how they are after one year's growth. The remains of the old scales have dried out and should now be removed from the young bulbs. On the right, above, are last year's newly cut up scales and, below them, are the same cuttings six weeks on, showing the tiny bulbs forming.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/270603/log.html

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/210803/log.html

You can see that the latent buds between the leaf scales have already started to form small bulbs. At this stage I like to especially check out the ones that are not forming a bulb and if they are showing any signs of rotting I remove them. It is very unusual for the ones forming bulbs to rot away. I also assess the moisture level of the vermiculite and if I think it necessary I add a tiny drop or two of water, better too little than too much.

Brian Ellis reply to :
Quote from: Martin Baxendale on October 31, 2010, 08:29:19 PM
Quote from: annew on October 31, 2010, 07:37:07 PM
So glad to hear you are still potting up chips, Martin. I just did the last of mine and was worried I was too late. What is your experience of success rates this late? I have to confess that I chipped too late this year so the bulbils aren't as big as I would like.

I think it's okay to chip any time the bulb is dormant, right up till rooting starts. I once chipped some bulbs in October as an experiment, and by February they'd caught up with those chipped in June/July.

...and I am just about to pot up this years chips, which were done rather late and are now ready to take out of their bags.  Last years are beginning to poke their noses through in their pots, so I feel as though I really am late

Martin Baxendale reply to :
Quote from: steve owen on February 08, 2009, 12:57:27 PM
Should one lay the scales + bulbils on the surface when potting or cover them? If cover, how deep and with what medium?

They should be covered, so the tops of the chips are just below the surface of the (well-drained) compost, and then a layer of grit (not too deep and not to coarse).

Martin Baxendale :
....... I think I could just about get away with annual repotting in fresh good quality loam-based compost (John Innes 2 or 3 depending on bulb size, chosen for a good loam content, plus extra drainage material - pumice grit in my case) and Maxicrop non-fertiliser original (brown bottle) seaweed extract. But for fastest development of seedlings and chips to flowering I think some added fertiliser on top of what's in the compost would probably be beneficial. I think I'll stick to very regular doses of the non-fertiliser-boosted Maxicrop seaweed extract (at virtually every watering) and add a dose of a high-potash liquid feed (e.g. tomato fertiliser) every other watering or so. Some of my seedlings are taking a long time to reach flowering and anything I can do to speed that up has to be a good thing.

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=7719.msg212930#msg212930

A few questions:

Is it essential to regularly open the bag containing chipped Galanthus to allow for air exchange. This has been recommended on several sites yet my understanding is that polythene allows gas but not moisture exchange?

Do folks grow 'Augustus' near their collection of other snowdrops?  As it has potyvirus I am amazed it is so incredibly vigorous.  Secondly the book says Ronald Mackenzie has a virus-free 'Augustus'. Has anyone seen it and exactly how does one produce a virus-free bulb other than selfing and growing it from seed again? In which case the name 'Augustus' should not apply.   

My experiment to dry out pots of Galanthus by sowing annual rye seed in the pots as the leaves were dying down has worked rather well.  The rye was not so vigorous as to dry the medium out too quickly, in fact a few pots were still moist halfway down despite not having been watered since June.  The roots nicey dried the tunics and especially those tight spots between offset and mother.  Survival in  general improved.  The only casualty was lagodechianus of which we had several hundred bulbs; somehow the pots were misplaced and we missed watering them until January - they did not approve. Still we have a dozen survivors and they reproduce like mad; if only they'd flower.
johnw

I don't know that it is essential John, but I open my bags once a week to allow air in and for me to check on their status.  It means any that are not looking good can be removed before they infect others.
Brian Ellis

apparently I didn`t read the articles about chipping very good as I don`t recall reading to let fresh air in the bag.But I will do so and look at the chips carefully.This is my first attempt with just one chipped bulb,only 12 parts in the bag.but so far so good,no wilt or other bad signs.and after 6 weeks not yet a bulbil to see.

now my question:when do I pot the chips?I mean,should I put them in the soil after 3 months even if there are no bulbils or do I wait till they have bulbils,even when it is already winter?
any advice please?
loes

I don't open my bags of chips and find they do fine without refreshing the air in the bag on a regular basis. In fact, I would imagine that opening the bags regularly makes it more likely that airborne fungi spores may get in. I check the bags by simply shaking the vermiculite gently around to expose the chips to sight (flattening the bags on a table helps too) so I can see if there are rot problems - which is usually pretty obvious without opening the bag.

Loes, I pot chips after 3 or 4 months even if there is no sign of bulbil formation. Bulbils can still continue to develop after potting, along with root formation which will help to keep the chip hydrated and firm even if there is no leaf growth. It's not uncommon for chips to fail to make bulbs and leaves the first season, but when you come to check on them after the end of the first growing season you'll often find that small bulbils will have formed. If not, then repot the scales again. As long as they are firm and healthy, there's a good chance that they'll make bulbils eventually.

John, I have Augustus from Ron Mackenzie and although it shows no signs of virus at the start of the season, it does later on. The theory was that some Augustus in some gardens may have been isolated before Augustus was infected with virus. But since the vast majority have virus, I suspect it got infected very early on, before it was widely distributed, and perhaps before it was distributed at all, so ALL stock may be virused. It never sets seed for me, so I think it's probably a virtually sterile triploid, which would explain its vigour despite virus infection. Often if a snowdrop is well grown the virus symptoms are not obvious, but show up when the bulb is stressed.
Martin Baxendale

www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=779.msg19753#msg19753
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 12:26:56 AM »
Spent all evening potting up snowdrop chips. Here are some pics to show that it can be successful.

The size of the bulbils you get after a few months in the bags of vermiculite can vary quite a lot depending on the size of adult bulb that the snowdrop makes and the vigour of the individual snowdrop.

For example, the first two pics are chips from seedlings involving Gal. 'Mighty Atom' both of which are very strong, large-flowered  plants, reluctant to set seed, so probably triploids with plicatus blood, making large bulbs. The third pic is of some chips from Gal. reginae-olgae, a less vigorous snowdrop with naturally small bulbs, so making smaller bulbils when chipped. But all will make good leaf growth after potting. I just try to pot the smaller bulbils closer packed in smaller pots and the bigger ones a little more spaced in larger pots as they'll develop faster and make larger bulbs more quickly.   (plus pix)
Martin Baxendale

There was also some comment about the digressions in this thread so I have "tidied" it up a little!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2013, 03:24:09 PM »
Wow - thanks Maggi.  Can't wait to read this later tonight.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks Maggie

Fantastic job

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2013, 06:57:35 AM »
Thank you Maggi  :)
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal