We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chipping/Twin-scaling type question  (Read 112991 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Chipping/Twin-scaling type question
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
Most people who do twin-scaling seem to have managed to get hold of fungicides that are not available to the amateur anymore.  It's debatable whether anything you can still buy in a garden centre would be suitable.

Plant the seed pod whole and hope for the best. 
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
New here! So forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

1) In twin scaling, they mention methylated spirit and fungicide. Where can I buy these cheaply please, considering that I only need a small amount please?

2) Also, I have a Wendy's Gold which has a seed pod which is quite yellow and big. What should I do with it please?

Methylated spirit is fine, you can pick it up cheaply at hardware stores or Amazon. The fungicide used by a number of chipper/twin scalers is Fungus Clear Ultra. Again, I got mine from Amazon.

With regard to seed pods,I have used the following with great success.

I let the non-yellow drop pods turn yellowish, the yellow drop pods turn golden. I then pick them including around 6-8 inches of stalk. I place this in a cardboard egg tray, labled as to which seeds are in each cup. I keep the tray in a cool dry place, my workshop. I keep checking the tray until the pods burst and the seeds are ejected. Pot them up and away you go.

This has delivered excellent results for me.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:14:32 AM by Blonde Ingrid »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
Others have had success with simply burying the whole seedpod. Either way, take Ian Young's advice and bury the seeds/seedpod 3-4cm deep.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Natalia

« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
Dear friends, tell me - when chipping form  "pakuliformis" and "reverse pakuliformis" persist?
  One of the forum colleagues in the conversation claimed that the form was not saved.
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Natalia

« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
And one more question - did anyone chip shapes of this type (photo)?
  Do they keep their appearance - the shape of a flower?

Natalia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
And one more question - did anyone chip shapes of this type (photo)?
  Do they keep their appearance - the shape of a flower?

I have a similar snowdrop (nivalis) with both the reflexed outer petals and the absent inner petals.  But I won't know for a few years yet whether this flower form is preserved.   
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »
Dear friends, tell me - when chipping form  "pakuliformis" and "reverse pakuliformis" persist?
  One of the forum colleagues in the conversation claimed that the form was not saved.

The answer I think is to chip and not twin-scale!  If you merely cut the bulb into four or six you are far more likely to have enough genetic material to carry the shape and pattern on.  People have chipped things like 'South Hayes' and ended up with some that are pure white, I have seen twin-scaled 'Trymmer' where nearly every one is different.  Hope that helps.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Natalia

« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
thanks for answers

Alan_b - yes, this form of the flower is stable - I have several plants of this type of different types - they keep their shape from year to year.

Brian Ellis - Yes, I was wrong and I asked the wrong question

Thanks, but it helped.

When you trimmed the trims, did you observe a variation in shape? Do I understand correctly?
 Then the meeting question - there is still an old way of reproduction of Amarylls - cross-cutting the bottom of the bulb. Theoretically this is just a stimulation of the formation of children. How do you think - in this case there will also be a scatter in forms?

I chiping  chimeras - the young plants received from chips completely repeated the parent plant.
Natalia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »
When you trimmed the trims, did you observe a variation in shape? Do I understand correctly?
Slight variation in shape and definite variation in marking in the example I quoted.
Then the meeting question - there is still an old way of reproduction of Amarylls - cross-cutting the bottom of the bulb.
I haven't done this so do not know the answer, I always thought about doing it with hyachinths, but never got round to it!
I chiping  chimeras - the young plants received from chips completely repeated the parent plant.

That is very exciting, you are the first person that I know that has had this success, well done.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Yanick Neff -  all prepared  for  twin-scaling .....

617623-0

www.swiss-drops.ch
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
thanks for answers

Alan_b - yes, this form of the flower is stable - I have several plants of this type of different types - they keep their shape from year to year.

Brian Ellis - Yes, I was wrong and I asked the wrong question

Thanks, but it helped.

Then the meeting question - there is still an old way of reproduction of Amarylls - cross-cutting the bottom of the bulb. Theoretically this is just a stimulation of the formation of children. How do you think - in this case there will also be a scatter in forms?

Sorry I have not been following this thread. Yes you can cross-cut the base and they will make bulbils.
Some inverse poculiforms seem stable (eg Trymlet and Trym), but some are very unstable (eg Trimmer). Be prepared to save only the ones that are true, and throw away the others! Also do not chip the young bulbs again until they have flowered so you can check they are true before cutting.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Will23

« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
Hi, I'm just looking for a bit of advice if possible please.  I noticed a few pots in which the bulbs had not sprouted this winter, so knocked out the pots.  Most of them had rotted but, one of them contained two bulbs with no shoots or roots.  The variety is Hollis.  They were firm but there was no sign of life.  I decided to try to save them so gave them a good soak in fungicide and chipped them into 28 pieces.  This was at the end of January.  There are a lot of bulbils on the chips now and, if it was autumn, I would be potting them up.  Should I pot them up now or leave them in the bag over the summer and pot up at the normal time for chips?  I've attached a photo of a couple of the bulbs. What do you think?  Many thanks, Will

David Lowndes

« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2019, 06:09:09 AM »
I haven’t any experience of this situation but my instinct is that 2 months in the bag is long enough. Temperatures are rising and metabolic activity will increase so more oxygen will be needed (admittedly not a lot!). So, I would pot them up now.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »
I would pot them up now and keep somewhere cool and shaded. They will probably not produce any leaves until next spring at the usual time.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Will23

« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2019, 08:17:51 AM »
Thank you for your comments David & Anne.  I'll pot them up this weekend.  Cheers, Will

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal