We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chipping/Twin-scaling type question  (Read 113992 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Chipping/Twin-scaling type question
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »
At Dunblane, Anne told us that when she puts the chips/twinscales into the vermiculite (in boxes - used, washed margarine tubs) she likes to ensure that they are spaced out so that they are not touching - otherwise rot is sure to set in.

Keep them warm and dark for a few (6?) weeks then pot them up.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
Thanks Brian.

spacing them out is why I use boxes rather than bags. Mine stay in a dark room temp cupboard from end June until early October, by then a root & shoot should have formed, they then go into 9cm square pots, 4 per pot. Might try using a small prop case in the cupboard this year to keep the temp stable.

I've tried various compost mixes, sitting some on a thin layer of sharp sand when potting, and various feeds and now use a mix of equal parts J Innes No3, sharp sand and medium grade vermiculite. They stay in pots for 2 years then go into a nursery bed, feed with miracle grow every few weeks. Some of my 2012 Mighty Atom chips flowered this year, but generally takes another year.

Hitu

« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2014, 01:25:28 AM »
One more stupid question...do you put them out after potting?

RichardW

« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2014, 07:06:15 AM »
They stay in a heated greenhouse from potting in October until following spring, kept lightly watered until growth appears. Then into shaded cold frames for the summer.

pic shows typical growth rate, 2012 chips on left, 2013 on right.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:12:47 AM by RichardW »

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
Has anyone had a go at  micro proping them yourself at home ? 
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

David Nelson

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
Hi Emma,
I'm a new member to the Forum, but I do have some experience of micropropagation, working with Narcissus a few years ago. It's very difficult to remove all the soil micro organisms that come with soil grown bulbs when setting up the bulb cultures initially, it's a minefield in itself! Then there are ongoing issues with keeping sterile cultures actually sterile! So, what I'm trying to say is 'No, it's just about impossible to do, outside of a lab.' Sorry!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
Welcome David!  Thanks for your input about your experience.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
Has anyone had a go at  micro proping them yourself at home ? 

Emma, did you have any success with your experiment taking leaf cuttings last year?
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

emma T

« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
No , no luck . I think I might need a mist unit to try again
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »

Hi Emma,
I'm a new member to the Forum, but I do have some experience of micropropagation, working with Narcissus a few years ago. It's very difficult to remove all the soil micro organisms that come with soil grown bulbs when setting up the bulb cultures initially, it's a minefield in itself! Then there are ongoing issues with keeping sterile cultures actually sterile! So, what I'm trying to say is 'No, it's just about impossible to do, outside of a lab.' Sorry!!

Mmmm just about impossible , sounds like a challenge !

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
Leaf cuttings? I don't remember this coming up
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

RichardW

« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2014, 09:26:49 AM »
having to pot everything this year, nursery beds are like clay soup  :-\

these are 2012 Mighty Atom chips, from something smaller than a grain of rice to 10mm bulbs in 18 months. Shame they aren't all so vigorous.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »
micropropagation .... it's just about impossible to do, outside of a lab.' Sorry!!

I'm curious to know what you think we are missing, David.  It's amazing what you can improvise, particularly so if you're used to not having to do so.
Almost in Scotland.

David Nelson

« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Hi Alan,
It's a bit of a long winded story, so please bear with me! Micropropagation requires a mineral salts solution, sucrose, agar and the use of an autoclave, to prepare & sterile the growth media. The surface sterilisation of the bulbs to be propagated was done by a gentle hot water & bleach treatment. From that point on, all work was carried out in a Laminar Flow Bench, which is designed to protect the tissues by blowing sterile, filtered air across them & so protect them from further contamination. The cultures are grown under Controlled Environment facilities, to provide them with stable day length, light intensity & temperature. The tiny bulbils were induced to enlarge essentially by giving them additional sucrose & were then potted on. Reaction to micropropagation was strongly cultivar dependant, some showing strong apical dominance & hence few bulbils!
I guess we could discuss substitutes & alternatives & see what we can come up with...I enjoyed the work & found it very rewarding!

Joan

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »
I have been asked what is the best fungicide to use when chipping/twinscaling.  I use Fungus Clear Ultra (because it was the first one to hand in the garden centre).  Any comments or suggestions from the more experienced plants people?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal