We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus March 2008  (Read 58977 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Crocus March 2008
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »
Hallo Croconuts,
spring crocus season is almost over... :'(

Here a few more pictures.

Can you help me to proper identify below wee crocus which I purchased as C. kosaninii?
It looks so different.
All the other corms have got leaves but no buds/flowers.
Only one opened and my impression it is shy in flower.
Any ideas what it could be?
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »
Dont know but ?kossaninii is lovely as is the feather on corsicus. My corsicus could be wrong but it doesnt look like your plant. Tony will come in and ask what does the tunic look like.

I'm worried about some of my Crocus that are dying back already.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
The crocus group is a very relaxed group and the newsletter comes out on a somewhat in-frequent basis. I thought the leaflet with the AGS bulletin was very good and useful but the colour printing in the Journal is either awful or a lot of plants have taken on new hues.I also thought that 70 pages on plants at the shows looked like a filler when there was not much else to put in.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2008, 03:33:08 AM »
Armin,

That third pic (vernus ssp vernus) is spectacular.  Lovely colour combination, almost more like the colours you'd expect from a tommie not a vernus.  Not a named form I assume (and therefore can't be looked out for in case listed here!?)  I really like that form and colour.

Great pics.  Lovely to see the corsicus .... it's one of my very favourite Crocus I think as it is a good "doer" and flowers extremely well every year.  Always good in a Crocus!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »
Crocus fleischeri?
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2008, 10:08:44 PM »
A lovely Crocus fleischeri enjoying the sunshine, Hans. That frilly style is pretty 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #261 on: April 02, 2008, 02:10:44 AM »
Crocus seem late this year, only have these two bunches and a few singles flowering. Blue Pearl and Gypsy Girl or is it Dorthy? I have never had any seed on Gypsy Girl/Dorthy.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2008, 09:10:41 PM »
Tony the sample newsletter is 9 years old. Can you upload a new one?
Hmm
The web site is unchanged in almost 5 years .... not sure if I can rememeber how to get at it.  The web provider has changed name twice since and Orange now do things differently.
I am taking over the reins of the CG this year.  (Don't expect things to be better organised though ;)) I hope to find time to make more CG info available on the web soon.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »
Armin,

That third pic (vernus ssp vernus) is spectacular.  Lovely colour combination, almost more like the colours you'd expect from a tommie not a vernus.  Not a named form I assume (and therefore can't be looked out for in case listed here!?)  I really like that form and colour.

Great pics.  Lovely to see the corsicus .... it's one of my very favourite Crocus I think as it is a good "doer" and flowers extremely well every year.  Always good in a Crocus!!  ;D

Paul,
thank you - I love this form of C. vernus ssp vernus too. I purchased the first 10 corms 3 years ago and put 5 each in my garden and lawn. It is increasing by corm division but I've not yet seen seed capsules.
The picture from 2006 is a comparison in size to a dutch vernus hybrid. For those who are interested.
PC Nijssen in the NL is offering it for sale and says it is rarely grown nowadays.
http://www.pc-nijssen.com/frameset_onlinebestellen.php
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2008, 10:09:26 AM »
Tony why not buy the name crocusgroup.com?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »
Just checked with xcalibre.co.uk and sadly crocusgroup.com is registered. crocusgroup.co.uk is available for £10 a year.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #266 on: July 17, 2008, 01:48:14 AM »
Was looking at Connoisseur Collection thread, and notice Crocus vernus Spring Trophy. Looks like the one TonyG posted. Is this the same crocus, and where is it for sale?

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1331.0;attach=49284;image

The one close-up below is of a C vernus x tommasinianus.  Very similar to 'Pictus' but the size of C vernus.  Nice!

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1460.0;attach=49047;image

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal