We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yay! I made it i made it!!!  (Read 2107 times)

Michael

Yay! I made it i made it!!!
« on: July 07, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
In May 2006 i saw in a flowershop 2 small pots of a plant that seemed to me some sort of Campanula in white and blue.
"A campanula here in Madeira?, I must buy it straigh away, and not let go this gold oportunity!!!"
And yep i was right, because i have not seen the plant again since  :(
Then after an intense search i found that the 2 little plants i bough were in fact Platycodon grandiflorum and not campanula as i though in the beginning. After they flowered they have died to the ground. Next spring (2007) i had no growth at all, but the tubers were very healthy and resting. The same was about to happen this year, but since i was advised to use the refrigerator from several people here in the forum, i used it during 2 months with this plant to see what would happen. And guess what? 2 days just after i took it out of the frige the soil was already cracking and now several weeks latter i have my first bloom in 2 years!! And the plant is even bigger and full of buds. But unfortunately only the blue one survived, the white one rotted, but anyway, flowering a hardy like this one in this part of the world is the same thing as flowering a banana tree in the north pole! Ok probably i am exagerating, but anyway, i feel very happy with it and it gives me still hope for the next hardy or alpine plants that i might want to try in the future!  ;D ;D ;D
Here are the pictures of my King Platycodon (sorry about the quality though)

Michael
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:08:53 PM by Michael »
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Yay! I made it i made it!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »
Isn't nature a wonderful thing Michael ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:28:33 PM »
Well done Michael.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20:50 PM »
And after all Michael, Platycodon is the same family as Campanula - Campanulaceae, so you're not too far away. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »
Congratulations Michael.  Isn't finding (and keeping) something totally out of character for the area like that just SO cool!!?  8)  I always get a kick out of my Beaugainvillea which does well for me here, despite the frosts and the fact it "shouldn't" grow here.  ;D  Great stuff!!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?  8) well done, Michael!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal