We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne 2023  (Read 733 times)

ruweiss

Daphne 2023
« on: April 04, 2023, 08:55:41 PM »
Most of the Daphnes are in buds and some species
are already in flower:
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: Daphne 2023
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 12:29:13 AM »
I've never heard of that one before.  Is it scented?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

ruweiss

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 08:53:02 PM »
Diane,
Sorry,neither D.modesta,nor D.rosmarinifolia are scented, but I like them for their color, compact growth
and the early flowering time. seidelbast.net and daphne.be are interesting websites for Daphne friends.

ruweiss

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 09:05:42 PM »
More Daphnes:
All these species have a strong scent.

MarcR

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 09:45:23 PM »
Rudi,

Lovely blooms!   Mine haven't started yet. Winter weather continued for us through most of April.
Spring weather usually starts by the 2nd or 3rd week of March.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

CRSHEP0

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 05:43:27 AM »
Rudi, I keep trying to grow Daphnes.  I use to buy from Rick Lupp, and kept almost all of those alive, and he was always there for more.  What an incredible plantsman Rick Lupp was!  I learned so much from him, and his Daphne's were superb!  Now, the only one I can keep happy is my Daphne Oleiodes, and it seeds like crazy, and loves my big, Sand Bed, and all the rocks from the Rockies.  Currently, I have close to twenty of the D. Oleiodes seedlings growing around it, so I am not a complete failure.  I hope to see you in Prague again with your wife, and I have ordered a Daphne from Herman Buhl, but he was mostly sold out when I contacted him.  I had a beautiful D. Circassica once, and, also a D. Velonofski - somehow it didn't like lime.  I am so looking forward to Jiri's tufa garden wall, which was just installed when we were there last. And, of course to be able to buy plants (this is the biggest draw) that are not available in all of North America, seeds yes, but I do not have the skills of an experienced plantsman such as you.  I even have a pile of big tufa rocks, that I prodded my husband to go get in Canada.  Diane W., helped guide us there.  Along the way there, the hiking was very scary, Grizzly Bears live around those woods along the travel route.  We once turned back on a high trail in the Wyoming Rockies, and only 100 feet from the pass on the way down, was a huge Grizzly scat!  Close call, but we headed the instructions, and always made noise, and each carried (and practiced) with our Bear Spray! Cecile

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 07:55:02 AM »
Diane,
Sorry,neither D.modesta,nor D.rosmarinifolia are scented, but I like them for their color, compact growth
and the early flowering time. seidelbast.net and daphne.be are interesting websites for Daphne friends.
Rudi, you made a name mistake; It is:http://www.daphnes.be/
Herman comes to the conference in Prague.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:58:33 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 04:44:34 PM »
Cecile,
Rick Lupp is still growing incredible daphnes, just not selling anymore.  That's a shame, because his plants are superb.  I am lucky that he lives only 50 miles away and I can make an annual "pilgrimage" to visit.

...Claire
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

ruweiss

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 08:32:09 PM »
Herman,
thank you for for the correction of my mistake with Herman Laportes homepage adress. We all can be glad to have
him and his extraordinary offer of Daphne plants. I can hadly believe, that no nursery in the entire United States
offers Daphne plants for sale.   
Cecile,
After the former conferences at Beroun, Tabor and Pruhonice we deeply regret, that we are not able to visit the current
conference. The simple reason is a family event, beside that we cannot travel  so far anymore. It was alays a nice time
among the rockgardeners and we wish you and all the gardenig friends a pleasant time.
Daphne velenovskyi and D. circassica normally grow well on limestone but don`t like higher temperatures and prefer a
cool root run. In Turkey we found D. oleoides in hot steppe places, this is probably the reason for your succes with this
species.     

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal