We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2023  (Read 2059 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Helleborus 2023
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2023, 06:14:03 PM »
Helleborus multifidus is always the first one to start flowering, though I'm not sure if this is species or a hybrid, because it has never set seeds.
It is deciduous, like H.multifidus should be.
Leena from south of Finland

Buddy

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 04:54:15 PM »
My H. multifidus usually have the flower stems and remarkably different main foliage appearing at the same time. I usually get a few seeds but the flower stems succumb to fungus easily.

Jeffnz

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2023, 11:24:37 PM »
It is unusual to have flowering and new growth occurring at the same time, botrytis is the usual fungus infection I see, regular spraying with a systemic fungicide as the flowering bracts are appearing can reduce the intensity of the infection. Growing environment, damp and poor air circulation are conducive conditions for botrytis. Some species and many hybridus are more prone to infection.

MarcR

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 06:20:31 AM »
I agree with Jeffnz that spraying a systemic fungicide is best; but Captan is much less expensive and often as effective.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 06:22:04 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Leena

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2023, 08:14:54 AM »
My H. multifidus usually have the flower stems and remarkably different main foliage appearing at the same time. I usually get a few seeds but the flower stems succumb to fungus easily.

I think H.multifidus which picture I showed earlier might be a hybrid, but this H.multifidus should be right, because it was grown from wild collected seeds.
This one sets seeds (unless frost damages them).
What Jeff wrote about botrytis made me wonder if these are now too dense, but they grow well and never had any trouble. Knock on wood!

Jeffnz

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2023, 09:03:09 PM »
We do not have snow cover over winter, winter is cold and very wet, these conditions are ideal for botrytis.
Your green multifidus is the species, the earlier one has to be a hybrid that may involve the true species, never the less a good hellebore with outward facing flowers.

Leena

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 05:33:41 PM »
Your green multifidus is the species, the earlier one has to be a hybrid that may involve the true species, never the less a good hellebore with outward facing flowers.

Thanks Jeff. :)
I like also the hybrid, and the flowers are good outward facing. It's leaves also die in the autumn, like in the green multifidus, but unfortunately it seems to be sterile.
It was grown from Swedish seed ex seeds.

Jeffnz

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 12:33:06 AM »
Unusual that it is sterile, does this apply to both open and hand pollinated flowers? I have only come across a few hybridus that are sterile, my plants of Betty

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 07:41:48 PM »
Helleborus multifidus is always the first one to start flowering, though I'm not sure if this is species or a hybrid, because it has never set seeds.
It is deciduous, like H.multifidus should be.

They both look great Leena. The first one which may be a hybrid, resemble a bit my H. purpurascens, which also is the first one to flower here, erupting from the ground just the same.
The foliage follows much later and I actually like it that way.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 07:46:42 PM »
Few Helleborus flowers, with a particular plant from ex. H. 'Cherry Blossoms' that is very nice.
713314-0

713316-1

H. purpurascens, already done by now.
713318-2

This one from a very robust specimen obtained from seeds; 5 years old looking like 10 :)
713320-3
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2023, 08:24:04 AM »
Unusual that it is sterile, does this apply to both open and hand pollinated flowers?

I don't know how it would be if hand-pollinated, but open pollinated it doesn't set seeds.

The first one which may be a hybrid, resemble a bit my H. purpurascens, which also is the first one to flower here, erupting from the ground just the same.
The foliage follows much later and I actually like it that way.

Thanks Gabriela, the colour and the size of flowers is similar to H.purpurascens, but the shape is not, at least not now. The plants I have grown from your seeds flowered the first time this spring and they were early, though they also grow in an early spot. :)

Gabriela

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2023, 08:09:04 PM »

Thanks Gabriela, the colour and the size of flowers is similar to H.purpurascens, but the shape is not, at least not now. The plants I have grown from your seeds flowered the first time this spring and they were early, though they also grow in an early spot. :)

Yes, the flowers are different, just the behaviour is the same :) The garden location makes such a big difference in early spring. The ones who receive more sun can flower with more than 1 week in advance than another one I have on the side of the house, which remains shaded.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Jeffnz

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2023, 03:34:54 AM »
I like the anemone, especially the yellow tips to the extended nectaries. Unfortunately this is not retained if the anemone is crossed with a similar coloured double.

Leena

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 04:09:11 PM »
It is raining today, so here are some Helleborus pictures, new flowers this year. Many old (and new) ones still suffer from winter 2022, but it was nice to see new flowers. :)
The first ones are from seeds I got from Jeff.
The names are from what the crosses were.
The last pictures are from a really nice yellow which flowered now for the third time, and it survived the bad winter, so it is one more plus for it.
My favourite.

Leena

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 04:12:02 PM »
These two were sister seedlings, and I especially like the white one, it looks  sideways nicely.
The last one is also one of my favourites though flowers are quite small.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal