We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen Seed  (Read 10597 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen Seed
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
David P. says
I'm not saying the above is a good way. In the light of what I've read in the bulb log and elsewhere I'm inclined to do things differently in future.
David, if your method is working for you then that's great, why change it? Especially since it is letting you observe interesting features like pink bubbles etc--I think that is terrific to be noticing those things. It exactly that sort of observation that Ian loves to make of his plants. Ian explains how he does things and whether or not they work for him - he's not saying that his way is the only way, just that it works here, usually after long years of trial and experiment !  If it were not for the fact that he is now fast asleep, I am sure he would remind you of ye olde adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
We'll see if he calls me a liar tomorrow!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »
Maggi a good strategy or a strong hint might be to wear an overcoat and balaclava to bed. Now I'd better go and lie down now ;D but first a fresh banana from the garden
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 09:22:01 AM »
A couple of years ago we were discussing mini cyclamen on the forum. I collected some seed from ours and sowed them in a pot in the greenhouse where they are now growing nicely. No 63C involved.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 03:17:06 PM »
63oC - now that is the sort of treatment banana seeds require, not cyclamen?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 09:09:47 PM »
Ian McEnery, how is it that you know what my wife wears to bed?  Does Pam know about this?
As it happens, I find Maggi very fetching in her sheepskin balaclava, coat and hiking socks.

Yes, Anthony, 63 degrees C is a bit too warm even for M! 68 degrees F is not warm enough for her, though!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:13:08 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

snowdropman

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »
Thanks all for the timely advice on sowing cyclamen seed - I just received some seed of cyclamen adjaricum from Dr Pilous today & now know what to do
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 09:41:06 PM »
I haven't got past the socks! ???
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 12:13:37 AM »
Ian Y so I've been caught out OK I own up i owe it all to very good binoculars and a fertile imagination. Anyway its what Pam wears and our house is too warm judging by the gas bill  ;D
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Tim Murphy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 08:02:35 AM »
Dear Chris, just in case you didn't know, Cyclamen adjaricum is an invalid name for C. coum subsp. caucasicum. In my opinion, the latter is also on shaky ground too as there do not seem to be any pure colonies of subsp. caucasicum (heart shaped leaves and slightly larger flowers). Colonies appear to be mixed with some plants fitting the description of subsp. caucasicum and others fitting the description of subsp. coum. It would be crazy to walk around these colonies labelling each plant individually as subsp. this and subsp. that.

I think that the subsp. should be dropped and all plants called simply, Cyclamen coum.

snowdropman

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 08:16:29 AM »
Tim - thanks for mentioning it - I will label it as Cyclamen coum (sourced from Chakva near Batumi, Adjaria, Georgia)
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

charlotte

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »
I am an advocate of the wet papertowel method.  I have Cyclamen seed germinating in as little as 3 weeks.  In fact, many of my seeds start the journey to growing-up in papertowel.  One can put a lot of "dreams" in a zip-lock bag!

Success to all in germinating those seeds, no matter how! :)

Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Linda_Foulis

• Beautiful Blooms
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 06:22:25 PM »
I've got c. persicum (mine) seedlings and c. graecum (SRGC seed) coming along in my cold room.  I'm assuming that once started they require more light but should still stay on the cool side? 

My reference book, AHS Plant Propagation - Alan Toogood, Editor, says: to sow in same mix as described above and then seal the pots in clear plastic bags (which is what I did), once germination occurs, remove from bag.  Transplant the seedlings as soon as large enough to handle, or, if the seedlings are not crowded, leave them for a year and pot the tubers singly when dormant (this option is not for c. persicum hybrids).

My question is, then what do I do with the c. persicum seedlings?  This is my first shot at cyclamen seedlings of any sort so I'm kind of confused.  One site I came across advised the cyclamen from seed 'was best left to professionals'.   ::)  Planting any of them outdoors is not an option here in zone 3 so pot culture it will be.
Linda Foulis
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Zone 3 gardener
Head honcho at Beautiful Blooms

charlotte

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 10:20:22 AM »
Linda,
The growing advice for Cyclamen seedlings from Alan would be good to follow.  I grow all my seedlings in that way, either repotting in the second/third year or putting them out into the garden. 
I do not find the C. persicum (species type) any different for handling.  I keep all seedlings growing for as long as possible & when they have lost their leaves keep them on the dry side, watering only sparingly.  I had placed a persicum seedling into a small trough & kept it outside in a protected area, ie the windowsill, all the winter.  It is now flowering for the first time. Hooray!! This means it has survived a -5°C temperature, slightly tempered by the warmth of the house. 
Nothing is certain in the gardening world - just enjoy the experience.

Best regards,
Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal