We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: DToL sampling advice for Galanthus sp  (Read 878 times)

Hannah Wilson

DToL sampling advice for Galanthus sp
« on: January 27, 2023, 05:47:03 PM »
Hello,

The Darwin Tree of Life (DToL) project is aiming to sequence 70,000 species present in Britain and Ireland, and generate a full reference genome for each species.  Initially they are targeting native and charismatic species.

The DToL team at RBGE have been asked to include some snowdrops in this years sampling and are seeking advice regarding finding, choosing, and verifying material. They need to sample from a single individual that is a representative of a wild species (presumably Galanthus nivalis which is iconic in the UK landscape despite not being native) , not a form selected for especially large flowers, or a cultivated variety , and especially not a hybrid as this would make the data very difficult to assemble and much less useful. So ideally we would sample an "average" G. nivalis - not one of the clones selected for being particularly floriferous or any other desirable attribute.

If anyone is able to advise on a source of material that fits this, please do get in touch and let me know.

Many thanks,
Hannah

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Re: DToL sampling advice for Galanthus sp
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 11:07:04 AM »
Maybe, would just need to ask permission
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal