We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aristocratic new autumn snowdrops from Dryad Nursery  (Read 1051 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Aristocratic new autumn snowdrops from Dryad Nursery
« on: November 12, 2022, 09:47:39 AM »
I would like to introduce Dryad nursery’s new autumn-flowering snowdrops: DRYAD PRINCESS, DRYAD DUCHESS, DRYAD COUNTESS and DRYAD EMPRESS – together the DRYAD ARISTOCRATS GROUP.
They are hybrids between G. reginae-olgae ‘Cambridge’ and my favourite small form of G. peshmenii, a deliberate cross made in 2013. The first flowers opened in October 2019, and it became clear that we had something very special.
The flowers were of heavy substance, with corrugated outer segments and a nice variation in height and inner markings. The bulbs were healthy and increased over the next two years, often giving more than one scape per bulb. The outstanding feature, though, was the strong, rich, sweet scent common to the seedlings, quite unlike the usual honey scent of the parents.
The leaves were just emerging at the time of flowering, so the flowers were presented well in their pots. Later, on emergence, the leaves showed the pale median stripe typical of G. reginae -olgae.
In the last three years of flowering, no seed has been set on any of the seedlings.
This autumn I cross pollinated the seedlings together. If no seed is set this year, I will feel safe in assuming they are sterile hybrids. Considering the unusual texture of the flowers and the distinctive perfume, as well as the vigour of the seedlings, I already feel confident of their hybridity.
The DRYAD ARISTOCRATS group are desirable and vigorous new additions to snowdrop collections, offering matchless large flowers of heavy substance and texture, easy to grow under glass with a dry summer rest, which will fill a greenhouse with a rich perfume on sunny autumn days.
There will be a more complete description and more images in the next International Rock Gardener online magazine in a few weeks time.
The first image is of the seedlings at first flowering, each pot being a different clone. Second image is of three of the new varieties for comparison. Following are images of each of the four new cultivars, in alphabetical order.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:49:28 AM by annew »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
Re: Aristocratic new autumn snowdrops from Dryad Nursery
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 09:50:23 AM »
Dryad Duchess

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 09:51:09 AM »
Dryad Empress

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
Dryad Princess

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 12:56:40 PM »
International Rock Gardener e-magazine - november 2022  IRG #155

Download the IRG here https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2022Nov241669317506IRG_155.pdf

Cover image: Galanthus ‘Dryad Princess’ – photo by Anne Wright.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal