We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: This week I brave chipping for the first time  (Read 891 times)

Michelle Swann

This week I brave chipping for the first time
« on: July 25, 2022, 06:45:09 AM »
This week is an experiment for me.  I know I am a bit late starting but I thought I would be brave and conduct a trial with some common cheap bulbs that have bulked up a bit.  I was only going to try a couple of varieties.  I was going to leave this till next year, but this year is about practice alone.  I am following Anne Wright's method.  I have had to get a magnifier as close up work as my close up sight is pretty bad.  I have to also experiment with different ways of cutting as I have grip problems due to poor hand strength.  My degree was in Chemistry so I am pretty good at following methods etc. 

I have been pulling up my snowdrops which are in baskets, inspecting them and changing approx half their mix.  My leaf mould was not ready so I collected some from some local woods with piles of it - I hope this will not introduce any problems. 

I am  not buying any snowdrops this year - or that is what I am telling myself, I will see if I am richer when the snowdrops are selling in the green.  I only started to collect snowdrops a couple of years ago, due to the winter blues and now I am rather hooked. 

Let the experiment begin.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: This week I brave chipping for the first time
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 01:32:51 PM »
Well done for getting involved in this, Michelle- following Anne's method will be successful I'm sure- and how much fun will it be to increase your plantings by your own efforts?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michelle Swann

Re: This week I brave chipping for the first time
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 03:38:23 PM »
Thank you Maggie,

Just waiting for my budget propogator.  We have an old heating tank still, but it is so well insulated that it doesn't heat up the cupboard much.  I will clear a spot for the propogator to keep the chips cosy.    I like to keep busy but not had the frame of mind much this year.  I kicked myself up the bum and thought of a new project.  I think Thursday will be the chipping day.  A big thank you to Anne Wright for being so generous with her knowledge and skill.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal