We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Meconopsis Group - new website launched  (Read 1768 times)

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
The Meconopsis Group - new website launched
« on: July 03, 2020, 01:57:26 PM »
The Meconopsis Group’s new website went live this morning, so please take a look at it on https://themeconopsisgroup.org/
As part of the new website, we have created a Meconopsis Species Gallery and if you have photographs we could use, I would be really pleased to receive them at
species-gallery@themeconopsisgroup.org by email (just a few) or by WeTransfer (up to 2 GB).
The gallery is for species only, not cultivars, and we are keen to add more photographs taken in the wild or cultivation. Please enclose information with your photographs as shown for the ones already in the gallery - the species indicated in green lettering. Images need to be at least 1000 pixels in the vertical dimension to fill the page, so best not to resize them to be too small.
Broughton Heights, Scottish Borders

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: The Meconopsis Group - new website launched
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:23:08 PM »
Great news, Margaret - I've  updated the  Mec Group entry  in our  links  pages.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:42:53 PM »
Thanks, Maggi
It took us a long time to get the website sorted out and especially difficult over the last few months as we have not been able to meet. But we got there in the end.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Now's the time for a lot more folks to do so by sending in photos of Meconopsis species!

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
You may not see your photos appearing immediately because I am trying to phase adding them to the Meconopsis Species Gallery, starting with Meconopsis baileyi, M. gakyidiana and M. grandis. These three species are the main ones from which the big blue perennial poppies we grow in our gardens arose, by selection and hybridisation. They all have the ‘false whorl’ of bracts above which are peduncles with flowers on top. I don’t know why it’s a ‘false’ whorl, as I have never found any explanation of this term, even in Christopher Grey-Wilson’s authoritative work ‘The Genus Meconopsis – Blue poppies and their relatives’ published in 2014. Does anyone know?
Photos of any other species will be filed away and used when I have enough to do the appropriate pages, so please do not hesitate to send them in. New photos or older ones are equally acceptable; you can either rush out into the garden to take some now or sort out ones from previous years.
species-gallery@themeconopsisgroup.org

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
You Tube Channel  for Meconopsis Group :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-6LZthrOiFHSC-Z63Kp2dQ   

First video is by Helen Knowles  on how to divde Mec. 'Barney's Blue'

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal