We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What is the best way to germinate paeonia mascula seeds?  (Read 594 times)

Ali A.Taleb

What is the best way to germinate paeonia mascula seeds?
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:11:06 PM »
Please, I would like to ask if anyone has information on the best way to germinate Paeonia mascula seeds?

Ali Taleb
Aliadnan.taleb123@gmail.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

MarcR

Re: What is the best way to germinate paeonia mascula seeds?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 10:20:37 AM »
Please, I would like to ask if anyone has information on the best way to germinate Paeonia mascula seeds?

Ali Taleb
Aliadnan.taleb123@gmail.com
70F [20C] until radical forms then move to 40F [4C] for 90 days then return to 70F [20C] until leaf forms.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Vinny 123

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 10:27:56 AM »
I have sown LOTS of various Paeonia seeds (mostly "tree" species and cultivars), and had not realised that they are anything but very easy.

I just sowed under gravel and left outdoors. You will not see anything above ground until the second spring.

MarcR

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 06:03:55 PM »
Vinney123,

Your method accomplishes essentially the same thing as what I suggested; but the indoor method, I suggested is somewhat quicker.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Vinny 123

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 06:32:48 PM »
Your method accomplishes essentially the same thing as what I suggested; but the indoor method, I suggested is somewhat quicker.

Very true. You gain several months to a year of growth, depending on when you sow and manipulate temperature.

I just read the original question as being from someone struggling when most seeds here have produced high percentages of seedlings.
It is a "weird" strategy though - root this year, leaf next.

Maybe worth a mention - true seed is uncommon on many plants and I have had batches of what appear to be good seed from society seed distributions (not just SRGC), that totally fail to germinate. For anyone not familiar with viable true seed, it is generally large - 8mm and more across, usually black and shiny, and very hard.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 07:42:49 AM by Vinny 123 »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal