We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2022  (Read 3842 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Corydalis 2022
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 08:20:03 PM »
'Pink Smile'-types are very nice!
 27C!!
Here it was  12C today, and after very late spring, also May seems to be colder than usual. Which is good, because there is so much to do in the garden, and flowers stay longer when it is cooler.

Yes, they are!
This weather comes at a very bad moment, I had to stop all new plantings and installed shaded cloth over newly planted...Many plants just 'exploded' in flower in the last two days, and of course they will fade fast because there is also no rain in sight.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 07:12:55 PM »
I hope your weather will get cooler soon. Here spring is still 2-3 weeks behind normal. Farmers haven't been able to start sowing yet, when normally they start at the end of April.
In my garden I haven't been able to plant anything outside yet (edible plants), but hopefully can plant my broccoli next week.

Here are some more Corydalis.
First is a very dark form of C.caucasica, called 'Borodino', and also second picture is the same, but self sown seedling.
In the third picture there are my seedlings from Corydalis wendelboi 'Abant Wine'. Sadly I have lost AW, it got too crowded by Leucojum vernum I think, and it disappeared before I remembered to rescue it. My seedlings are mostly similar to the mother plant except one more red flowering seedling.
Pictures were from today (can you believe Eranthis came up only last week! I was sure they were lost.)
Leena from south of Finland

kris

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 08:38:47 PM »
Corydalis is finally started flowering here. They give nice colour the whole garden. I have few of them and some are little earlier.
The  Corydalis solida pink smile  I got is from Leena as seed.  I think the white one is also from her.
When I gets the seeds to flowering lots of them are purple. May be that is the dominant colour.
The blue ones do very well  and flower nicely and multiply well.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 08:40:20 PM »
more
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 06:52:19 PM »
When I gets the seeds to flowering lots of them are purple. May be that is the dominant colour.
The blue ones do very well  and flower nicely and multiply well.

I think purple/blueish dominates, too.

Kris, you have very nice Corydalis. C.repens is wonderful, so compact.

Here cool weather has prolonged Corydalis -season this year. They have flowered already for two weeks and still some new ones are starting to flower in shadier spots.
The whole May has been colder than normal, and night temperatures have been close to zero, still. It has also been very dry, in my garden there has been only 5mm rain since snow melted.

Here are some Corydalis pictures from past seven days.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:13:00 PM by Leena »

Leena

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 06:57:10 PM »
There has been some very nice seedlings, this year flowering for the first time.
The first pink one is quite big, but the third one is my favourite. I only found it today.
The last one resembles the third, but it has entire bracts.

Leena

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2022, 07:05:56 PM »
C.bracteata seedling with C.solida seedlings.
A sterile C.kuznetsovii hybrid 'Drops of Claret'
Third one is an interesting seedling. I really is pale blue, but I still think it is C.solida..

Last week-end I took a 13 min video of my Corydalis. I speak in it inFinnish, but I have written names of cultivars /species in the pictures. If there are no names, then they are seedlings.
This year has been a real Corydalis year for me! After many years of growing them, there are now lots of seedlings around, and also a lot of variation, but red ones are still my favourites. :)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
Your corydalis are magnificent Leena, and in company of hepaticas, hellebores, snowdrops and crocus - all long over here. 
How good to have had cool weather so they last longer.
Here gardening Finnish isn't often heard :), and I also enjoyed the spring birdsong with cranes nearby!
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »
Beautiful Kris - especially C. repens which also has a nice foliage.

Leena - what a wonderful display of various Corydalis! Persevering for many years has really payed off.
After a cold, long winter is so rewarding to have this nice, enjoyable Corydalis season :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 08:17:50 AM »
Your corydalis are magnificent Leena, and in company of hepaticas, hellebores, snowdrops and crocus - all long over here. 
How good to have had cool weather so they last longer.
Here gardening Finnish isn't often heard :), and I also enjoyed the spring birdsong with cranes nearby!

Thank you Ashley! :)
Cool weather has been very good for spring flowering plants. Spring was late this year but May has been a wonderful time now!
There are lots of birds singing now, and cranes were in a nearby lake. This is the best time of the year. :)

Leena - what a wonderful display of various Corydalis! Persevering for many years has really payed off.
After a cold, long winter is so rewarding to have this nice, enjoyable Corydalis season :)

Gabriela, you are so right. :) This year Corydalis season has been the best ever.
I was telling in the video how this was what I had dreamed of when I planted my first Corydalis in 2008, and now that dream had come true.
I had bought named cultivars few each year in hope that they will hybridize with each other and produce more wonderful plants.
During the years I have lost some Corydalis (of course mostly the most expensive ones), but they have managed to set seeds and now I think there are also descendants from them, too.
Lots of seedlings are flowering and nice variation in them. I can do plant hunting in my own garden. :)

Gabriela

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 12:31:30 AM »

Gabriela, you are so right. :) This year Corydalis season has been the best ever.
I was telling in the video how this was what I had dreamed of when I planted my first Corydalis in 2008, and now that dream had come true.
I had bought named cultivars few each year in hope that they will hybridize with each other and produce more wonderful plants.
During the years I have lost some Corydalis (of course mostly the most expensive ones), but they have managed to set seeds and now I think there are also descendants from them, too.
Lots of seedlings are flowering and nice variation in them. I can do plant hunting in my own garden. :)

Nothing better than having your dreams coming true Leena!
Indeed, the more seedlings, the more variations appear and nice surprises with them :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

MarcR

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 06:00:41 AM »
Kris and Lena,  Beautiful display! I have never pursued cultivars, though they are often more beautiful.  I have tried to collect as many species as possible and allow them to hybridize at random. I treat some of the results as weeds; but many are quite attractive.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Leena

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 09:39:20 AM »
Last of the spring Corydalis are flowering still, two weeks later than usual.
Corydalis turtschaninovii,
Corydalis vittae, very nice and compact, always very late
Corydalis nobilis, a big corydalis
Corydalis buschii, small flowering but very well increasing by corms. One of my favourites.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2022, 10:22:58 AM »
Leena, it seems to me that you have a big Corydalis collection  :)
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2022, 10:47:59 AM »
Herman, they seem to like it in my garden. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal