We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2022  (Read 3829 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Corydalis 2022
« on: April 28, 2022, 01:20:17 PM »
I didn't find Corydalis thread for this year, so if there was one, please remove this.
Corydalis malkensis in the first pictures has spread very nicely.
In the second picture a self sown Corydalis, maybe solida, a very dark form.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Corydalis 2022
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 01:44:04 PM »
Ooh! That very dark corydalis is very nice!  I love that C. malkensis goes with every other plant around it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 06:16:12 PM »
Thank you Maggi. :) It is so nice to have surprises from seedlings, and also this year there have been first time flowering C.malkensis seedlings outside this bed, so it is slowly spreading. I love it.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 05:35:45 PM »
I didn't find Corydalis thread for this year, so if there was one, please remove this.
Corydalis malkensis in the first pictures has spread very nicely.
In the second picture a self sown Corydalis, maybe solida, a very dark form.

I was just about to start one Leena, you beat me with resizing the pictures :)
Super nice dark C. solida!!!

They've been in flower here for a few weeks now; luckily it remains cold (too cold some days). All in all a good Corydalis season I would say.
C. solida first: general image, C. solida 'George Baker', a red one that I like even more and a surprise of this spring, which appeared among a purple clump.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 05:40:28 PM »
C. malkensis is a good grower indeed, some are from your seeds :) I have few clumps mixed with other Corydalis and they are very pretty as well.

C. paczoskii, a very delicate but tough species

Corydalis cava fo. alba, from your seeds; second year to flower so it looks a bit more grown-up.

C. cava ssp. marschalliana, first time flowering, I can imagine how more vigorous it will look in a few years. One can tell it is a tetraploid; mostly cream flowers, also light purple and white.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 10:08:59 AM »
You have a good Corydalis season, Gabriela! :)
I'm happy that you have gotten flowering plants from my seeds, and C.malkensis really is on of my favourites, too.
Your white solida with purple lips looks very special!
And also C.cava subsp marschalliana, you have a lot of variation in their colours.
Here most Corydalis are still yet to come, only in the warmest bed those two were in flower. I fear I have lost my C.marschaliana 'Crimea'. It usually is early to come up, and there is no sign of it yet. I hope there are some seedlings from it alive. Most different solidas have survived this very bad winter, and also C.bracteata is ok, which I'm very happy. :)
And there are Corydalis seedlings germinated this spring in pots, so there will be more Corydalis in the future. :)

Gabriela

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 08:22:59 PM »
Thanks Leena, Corydalis wise it's been good indeed. On the shaded sides some C. solida only now start flowering. And it's supposed to remain cool for a while, which is good news. Some years we can have temp. 20+C in May.

I hope your C. marschalliana 'Crimea' will show up, it is an impressive specimen. Maybe it is just slow to emerge.
Here C. bracteata showed up later than usual this spring.
Same here for the seedlings, there is always space for more Corydalis in the garden :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »
It seems that C.cava and C.marschalliana have vanished last winter. C.cava did that once earlier, died after a cold winter, but then it re-established itself from seeds, so I'm hoping the same happens now.
C.bracteata however is doing well, as it should be (it is from Siberia). Here is the first one of them flowering.
And another one coming up behind Trillium nivale.
Corydalis solida are now starting to flower, so they will be in full bloom maybe next week

MarcR

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 03:38:02 AM »
Gabriela,

Lovely pictures of splendid plants!
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Gabriela

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 10:55:45 PM »
Thanks Marc.

They got the weather forecast wrong and summer like weather is with us now, and very sunny. C. nobilis is starting to flower, all the others will set some seeds, or not, and become dormant fast.
C. caucasica

C. bracteata
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 06:20:00 PM »
Gabriela, very nice Corydalis, there can't be too many of them. :)

Also here Corydalis solida have started to flower. It seems this year everything comes up and flowers almost at the same time.
Here are couple of pictures from last night.
Most plants in the first picture are self sown seedlings, all kinds of colours.
In the second the pink in the right is 'Pink Smile' and red in the far left 'King Arthur', the others are seedlings from these two.
Third picture is 'Evening Shade', and in the last picture the red C.solida in the back is 'Cantata'.

Mariette

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 07:14:04 PM »
Leena and Gabriela, Your corydalis make a wonderful show! Especially lLeena´s dark C. solida and Gabriela´s white one with the blue lip make me curse the rodents in my garden. I´ve lost almost all of my special selections sooner or later.
There are advantages in a colder climate like Yours! After several attempts, I had to accept that species like C. bracteata. ornata and turtschaninovii need a more contnental climate than mine to survive. Alas, they are among the most beautiful!

Leena

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »
Mariette, thank you. :)
C.bracteata seems easy in my garden, but blue ones are difficult even here.
I have bought C.turtschaninovii several times, and most are alive, but not doing well. They don't increase, and sometimes disappear for no reason.
C.ornata I lost the first winter.
2016 I bought C.fumariifolia subsp azurea, and first spring it didn't flower. Then I thought I had lost it, but suddenly this year I found it flowering!!
The very divided leaves in the picture belong to Corydalis buschii, which is spreading fast.

Another peculiar blue one is Corydalis turtschninovii stoloniferous, bought from Sulev Savisaar in 2017. It flowered for the first time maybe two years later, and slender stems come up from some distance from each other. It is not flowering yet, but I wanted to show it anyway. Don't mind C.malkensis seedling in front of it.
Sulev wrote in his catalogue that this plant was collected from near Gorniye Kluci in Far East, Primorskiy kray 1987 by Irina Špak.
I didn't plant it under the stone, it has moved itself there.

Last picture is a seedling of C.solida, quite unusual colour.

Gabriela

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 08:01:50 PM »
They all look so nice Leena, especially with some snowdrops and Hepatica flowers at the same time. The spring flowering was more spaced out here this spring.
It seems that some Pink Smile also ended up in my garden :) I noticed a nicer pink than others in a clump of mixed Corydalis I grew from you. Almost all C. solida is faded now, except few on very shaded spots; 27C today!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 08:05:26 PM »
'Pink Smile'-types are very nice!

27C today!
27C!!
Here it was  12C today, and after very late spring, also May seems to be colder than usual. Which is good, because there is so much to do in the garden, and flowers stay longer when it is cooler.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal