We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eucharis Cultivation - UK  (Read 587 times)

Vinny 123

Eucharis Cultivation - UK
« on: April 28, 2022, 11:51:02 AM »
The genus gets a few mentions, but does not attract much by way of definitive cultivation details - hence my raising this thread.

I have tried with bulbs many years back and failed, but some bargain bulbs came up, so another chance to produce some rather attractive scented flowers was impossible to resist.

Does anyone here do really well with them?
I get the impression that they are really indoor plants as they are more tender than any sane person would heat a greenhouse to, and prefer semi-shade/shade anyway. Moisture rententive compost? Not totally dry over winter, well-watered otherwise?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Eucharis Cultivation - UK
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »
The Pacific Bulb Society has some good info on these : https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Eucharis
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Vinny 123

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 01:58:59 PM »
Thanks Maggi.
I had seen that, but I am always cautious taking comments like that at face value. All too frequently, the person commenting is in Thailand, Florida, The Philipines, or somesuch (warm or very warm) place. It does cite some interesting "facts" about stress and flowering though (all I need to do is get them actively growing first...).
I haven't checked in the case of Eucharis, but have stumbled upon almost countless YouTube videos covering Adenium cultivation that fall into this category, not applicable to the UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »
The folks at the PBS are pretty skilled growers- and yes, given the tender nature of plants like these, they do tend to be grown more in warmer areas. Extrapolation and experimentation are key, eh?

Some comments from England and Germany on E. amazonica :
https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4743.msg128011#msg128011
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 02:24:12 PM »
I've grown bulbs in the eucharoid group for years, but never had E. amazonica do well here.  I am in a cold/hot continental climate (USDA zone 5, Indiana) and these plants survive with an outdoors summer in a shaded spot and a heated, dry winter in a house or greenhouse.  Besides rain in summer, they get supplemental watering.   Some of them sometimes bloom.  These are not the best plants to grow for vigor and bloom in my climate.  Sorry I can't give you more information.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal