We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisarum sp.  (Read 8672 times)

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Arisarum sp.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »
Very clear pics of the flower parts Anne. Pleased that you now have this identified.
Dave
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »
Phew. I'm glad I came in at the end of that discussion :). Lovely wee plant and much more better than Arisarum probiscoideum [which does indeed look as if it has eaten a mouse], especially as it flowers now. Does it set seed, or should you have any offshoots in due course, I would like to try it here in sunny D?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:42:44 PM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 02:00:19 AM »
Good Lord Anthony! And you a teacher! I DO hope that last post contained a slip of the finger or a moment of mental aberration.

Must mention that your lovely Paris seed arrived at the weekend after a short sojourn with MAF. My fingers slightly smacked because the envelope had no customs declaration on it. But as the seed was named on the outside, all was well. Should have mentioned the sticker. Sorry. And many thanks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »
I'll watch out for seeds, but I'm not sure if there are any female bits on it! If not I'll sneak a bit off when I repot.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »
Lesley
Anthony's post was timed at 9o'clock on a Sunday evening.
As a school teacher he was probably fortifying himself for the coming week :D
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »
Well done Anne! Another mystery solved.

This little arisarum is one of the few plants I grow that I saw in its native haunts BEFORE I actually acquired it. Once seen I had to grow it. My plants came from Jane McGary in Oregon, US. Potted in September when I first received them, they put on a flush of leaves but did not bloom. The leaves (but for a few that continue to grow) have gone by now so watering has been reduced. A. proboscideum is blooming indoors and started coming up outdoors (now flattened by the cold). The rhizomes at the top of the ground outside appear to have rotted, but it must survive deeper down. Spring will tell the tale.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
Tongue was firmly in cheek Lesley. It is a frequent answer I get from pupils, but then even I don't understand everything first time: "'Is they wa's grey?' 'Aye, they wa's is grey'".
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
That's all right then. I remember - with shudders and deep embarrassment for her - when a recent prime minister of this country, (not the current one) and during the course of a speech at a state luncheon for some visiting dignitary, used the word "mischievious." She too was (had been) a teacher and the daughter of a Presbytarian minister to boot!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal