We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2022  (Read 466 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Erythronium 2022
« on: May 07, 2022, 02:48:31 PM »
Erythronium revolutum Cook's best pink just popped up in the warm sunshine yesterday.  I'm very excited about this fine pink with great foliage.  A selection by the late Alleyne Cook of North Vancouver, BC and kindly sent to me the year he died. I'd like to cross it with 'White Beauty' which is just starting to flower. Question is should I use 'White Beauty' as the pollen or seed parent?  johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Erythronium 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 05:41:31 PM »
May be worth trying both ways - but Ian Y. says he'd use  E. revolutum as the seed parent, since revolutum makes more seed.  Good luck !

Always nice to see something that reminds us of Alleyne,  a man with a great eye for a good plant -  - Barbara is a dear friend still!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Erythronium 2022
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 05:43:46 PM »
A very pretty pink!  I've never grown Erythronium from seed, but others aplenty in the past.  I would make the cross both ways.  You may not know at this point which pollen is more fertile, and not all varieties make good pod parents.

Also, consider drying and freezing some of the pollen.  I have my methods on my web site, at: http://www.shieldsgardens.com/info/Pollen.html

Good luck with the cross!

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal