We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: erroneous image captions  (Read 632 times)

RockWoll

erroneous image captions
« on: April 01, 2022, 08:33:08 PM »
While working through backissues to log the whereabouts of Primula images, volume 141 I came upon 38-39, where I have serious doubts about the names. P. 38 lists P. vulgaris (I suspect a P. elatior cultivar), and on p. 39 P. auricula (absolutely not, possible P. x pubescens cultivar), and P. elatior (a cultivar, not the species!). I could not find corrections to these captions. Have corrections been posted, and if so, does anyone have the correct ones?
I hope that someone knows the answers.
Regards,

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: erroneous image captions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »
I suspect that the species names were used because the plants are all hybrids and their parentage would be too complicated for "simple" photo captions. Perhaps those were the names given on the photo files.   As far as  I know, no corrections have been made.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

MarcR

Re: erroneous image captions
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »
Rock Wool,

From the perspective of a Botanist, I don't doubt that you are correct.

From the perspective of a club trying to foster horticultural interest,
using nomenclature that is used by nurseries & known in the trade; is often of more value than being correct.

Perspective is important in other situations, as well.  To a dietician, a tomato is a vegetable; while from the perspective of Biology [including horticulture] it is a fruit.
To a dietician a Blackberry is a berry, but we know it as a composite drupe.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 03:51:03 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal