We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pyrola americana  (Read 1022 times)

Nik

Pyrola americana
« on: November 12, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »
Pyrola americana can have quite attractive foliage (half-eaten here).

Nik

Re: Pyrola americana
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 05:56:04 PM »
There are three new shoots coming up (circled). I am ashamed to admit that I have been consistently pulling out seedlings of this from my maintained moss backyard, together with Chimaphila maculata plants.. Now, after reading on this forum, and elsewhere, how difficult it is to propagate them, I think I will let them grow freely wherever they appear. This particular one survived because it is in an area of the yard I do not weed.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
I would be very pleased if any volunteer Pyrola or Chimaphila seedling popped up in my garden! No native Pyrola species have that decorative foliage anyway. This is P. rotundifolia.

697629-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Nik

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »
I read that Pyrola rotundifolia and P. americana were considered the same species. The one we have used to be called P. rotundifolia var. americana. And there are many plants in the area that have leaves that look exactly like the one in your picture. I don’t know if it is habitat that makes them look “veiny”, or the mycorrhizal associations. I tend to believe it’s the latter. I also believe the same is true for the color of Monotropa uniflora, (see the first set of pictures in my post on that species in this forum). I have not been able to find any information about the reason for the different colors in either species..
Your picture is wonderful, I will take some of the one in our yard in bloom next summer.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 10:50:56 PM by Nik »

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 04:27:56 PM »
I have never seen any Pyrola with "veined" foliage here. I think it is genetic. The same with the color of Monotropa.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

MarcR

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 03:11:23 AM »
My Pyrola americana has similar mottling but not as clearly defined
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Nik

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »
I found a second one in our yard.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal