We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ostrowskia germination  (Read 701 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Ostrowskia germination
« on: March 27, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »
I got some seeds of Ostrowskia magnifica, and couldn't find with google how they germinate. Are they warm germinators or should I save the seeds until autumn and sow them then?
Any help is much appreciated. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

MarcR

Re: Ostrowskia germination
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 05:56:36 AM »
Ostrowskla (Campanulaceae). 0. magnifica, it is unfortunate that this
magnificent plant has not survived past the cotyledon stage here despite excellent
germination, and this observation has been repeated four times. DS seed gave good
germination in either a 40 or 70-40 pattern with germination occurring largely in 2-4w
at 40 showing that it is a strictly 40 germinator. The cotyledons develop vigorously, but
the seedlings deteriorate after a true leaf forms.

SEED GERMINATION THEORY AND PRACTICE
SECOND EDITION
Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 07:00:15 AM »
Leena,

Based on Dr Dino's notes, I suggest that you put some seed starting mix in a Zip-lock bag, treat ihe moistened mix with Captan, add the seeds to the bag and put it in the butter compartment of your refrigerator., where you can keep it under observation. As soon as the cotyledons develop, remove the seedlings from the bag [leaving the bag in the refrigerator until all seeds germinate.
 Plant the seedlings in unfertilized potting mix and keep them indoors under a grow light at 20C and dust them lightly with Captan, and put them about 3meters from a low speed fan.   

At that point the next important step is to pray and ask the Lord's help! May God bless your efforts.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:48:39 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 

Leena

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 08:15:04 AM »
Thank you Maggi and Marc. :)
It is good to know it germinates in cool temperature, I have a place where it stays around +3-4C (40F).
I got the seeds from a friend and I don't know if I have a place where it will like to grow, but I will try it. :)

MarcR

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 08:40:54 AM »
Leena,

I just read the article Maggi cited abour growing the seeds in vitro.

In vitro culture is as complicated as orchid flasking.  Unless you have some Lab experience, I suggest that you not start with irreplaceable seeds. However the suggestion that you sterilize the seeds in ethyl alcohol is a good one! Soak the seeds in 1/4 cup of vodka [ or rum] for one minute before implementing my suggestions above. sterilize tweezers by holding them over a flame and use them to extract the seeds from the vodka. An alternative method of recovering the seed is to pour the vodka through a coffee filter that you sprayed with vinegar to kill any yeast , or other organisms, that might be in the air.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:36:48 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Leena

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
Marc, thank you. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal