General Subjects > Flowers and Foliage Now

Helleborus 2022

<< < (2/10) > >>

Jeffnz:
I have found the species difficult if not impossible to maintain over successive years. Unlike most other helleborus this species does seem to need a narrow set of environmental conditions to thrive.
Have never seen an accurate description of the species natural environment, not helped by original the mode of entry to western gardens.

arisaema:

--- Quote from: Jeffnz on March 25, 2022, 01:15:57 AM ---I have found the species difficult if not impossible to maintain over successive years. Unlike most other helleborus this species does seem to need a narrow set of environmental conditions to thrive.
Have never seen an accurate description of the species natural environment, not helped by original the mode of entry to western gardens.

--- End quote ---

It thrives in both Scandinavia, the UK and East-Coast US, so I'm not sure I'd use the word "narrow"... I've seen it in the wild multiple times, always in heavy organic soils, in areas with plenty of spring/summer/autumn rain and rather cold winters.

Diane Whitehead:

--- Quote from: arisaema on March 25, 2022, 04:14:41 AM ---It thrives in both Scandinavia, the UK and East-Coast US. I've seen it in the wild multiple times, always in heavy organic soils, in areas with plenty of spring/summer/autumn rain and rather cold winters.

--- End quote ---

I've tried to grow it several times.   That explains why it doesn't grow in my West Coast garden.

Diane

Diane Whitehead:
I'm interested in breeding a scented hellebore. 

I have a couple of Helleborus liguricus but they are faintly scented.  Maybe they would have a stronger scent if I had some winter sun to shine on them.

Does anyone have a distinctly scented hellebore?

Diane

Jeffnz:
Hi Arisaema
Thanks for the growling conditions of thibetanus in its native habitat.
Is there winter snow cover?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version