We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arduaine gardens 2008  (Read 2749 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Arduaine gardens 2008
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
We visited the gardens on 27 May, in beautiful weather.  Due to the lack of rain and the almost continuous sunshine in May, the flowering had accelerated from earlier in the year and we were too late to catch the bulk of the main flowering period.  However, we found some in flower that we had not seen before.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Arduaine gardens 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
Second batch
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »
Last batch
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »
Tom,
You're making us all drool again...  ;D
Magnificent gardens and great pix !
Would have liked to join you folks for the coffee break !  What a view !
Thanks for taking us along.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
Looks well worth a visit Tom, thanks for posting them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Thank you again Tom. I love this part of Scotland and would dearly love to return there some time.
The last picture is quite superb. Nice for me too, to see Primula 'Inverewe' again. I had it once but doubt if it is in NZ new.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »
Primula Inverewe seems a bit of an enigma.  As a sterile hybrid, it should not come true, however, all the plants for sale under this name have been propagated from seed.  According to the head gardener at Arduaine, some plants produce viable seed.  He got his plants from a local garden centre!  I have 5 plants in my garden and the largest is twice the height of the smallest.  The main similarity is the deep red of the flowers.

The picture you like was taken at the head of Loch Craignish looking towards Jura and the island of Scarba.  The tidal race and whirlpools of Corryvreckan separate these islands. The yacht was being pulled through the straits  in the smooth waters of a tidal race.

Cindy and I first "discovered" this area about 45 years ago before the yachting fraternity moved into the loch.  On a whim, we thought that we would try to walk to the point as we used to years ago.   Surprisingly, although the terrain was very rough and and required care at certain points, we made it in less than an hour.  Years ago it would have been 25 minutes !  Looking out to sea, nothing had changed in all those years - even the midges.  You could almost imagine the Viking longships or the Gaelic Birlins sailing through between the islands.  I have seen no better place than the Argyll coast on a warm sunny day.  But again, being a native, I would say that.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
Well of course as a sterile hybrid 'Inverewe' shouldn't/doesn't produce any seed at all, ever. Having said that though, it's possible that the original cross has been repeated and produced some fertile plants. If you ever get seed on any of yours Tom, would you remember me please? With selection it should be possible to get somwething pretty like the original. The colour of course but also the white farina on the buds, stems, seed pods and young foliage. The one in your pic does look like a true plant.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:11:56 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal