We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Thalictrum 'Elin' forming seed?  (Read 393 times)

Mattb

Thalictrum 'Elin' forming seed?
« on: January 30, 2022, 04:22:01 AM »
I'm wondering does anyone find their Thalictrum 'Elin' forms seed? Mine here in Tasmania, Australia does.

I understand that 'Elin' is a hybrid cross between T. rochebrunianum and T. flavum subsp. glaucum and hybrids normally result in a sterile, or somewhat close to sterile, plant. However, I am surprised to read 'Elin' described as totally sterile.

FWIW I'm quite confident my plant is not simply T. rochebrunianum sold as 'Elin', as it has Elin's trademark very glaucous spring foliage with strikingly purple tips/new growth, and the heigh and girth of the stems is much greater than T. rochebrunianum.
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

Carolyn

Re: Thalictrum 'Elin' forming seed?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 03:28:21 PM »
Matt, have a look at dorsetperennials.co.uk. They say that Thalictrum ‘Anne’ (which I have in my garden) is a seedling of the supposedly sterile ‘Elin’. Perhaps it depends on climate, whether or not you get seeds? Your seeds would be worth sowing - you might get something special. I must say, having occasionally allowed some thalictrum to seed around a bit too much, I welcome the sterile hybrids!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Mattb

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 10:14:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, Carolyn. Glad I’m not going (entirely) crazy. I’ve saved some seed and will see what comes of it. I’m curious to know what you think of ‘Anne’? I’ve come across it before, but didn’t realise it was a seedling of ‘Elin’. I can’t find anywhere that describes how it is actually any different to ‘Elin’?

And T. aquilegiifolium is constantly throwing itself all over any patch of soil it can in my garden. If only the seed heads weren’t so lovely… and I was more organised. 😬
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

Carolyn

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 09:24:19 AM »
I’m not sure of the difference either. It’s certainly very tall with a strong stem which does not need staking - a handy feature, in windy Scotland!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal