We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nurseries  (Read 746 times)

iPlantsman

• Lewis Normand CHort MCIHort FLS
    • iPlantsman Blogsite
Nurseries
« on: January 26, 2022, 01:51:41 PM »
Hello all,

I haven't been on the forum now for quite a few (busy) years, but I'm back in the club as a member and want to get involved. 

I'm also a member of the Hebe Society and we are in the process of being recognised as the UK (possibly European) registrars of Hebe (Shrubby Veronica, as we are now supposed to say). As part of this development towards us being recognised as registrars for the Genus (and probably what were Parahebe too), myself and our Society Chairman have been looking at nurseries that have introduced Hebe cultivars to ask them to complete some paperwork on their introductions.

I happened upon Choice Landscapes from Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, who I had previously received a catalogue from way back when - probably around 2000.  They don't have a website and although I've emailed them I have had no response.  Does anyone know please if they are still operating as a nursery?  I recall them having a really good plant range primarily of alpines and wanted to see what they had.

Also, if you have bred a variety of Hebe or Parahebe please get in touch so we can look to register it.  No cost associated with registration.  It is more to ensure that name repetition doesn't occur and we can get descriptions of all extant varieties.

Thanks,

Lewis

Vinny 123

Re: Nurseries
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »

allanm

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 06:53:23 PM »
Actual link returns ....We can’t connect to the server at www.choicelandscapes.org.
all the 'active' links from a search are just advertising links and even one of these says the garden centre is not open at the moment;
Could be defunct, closed temporarily or just lost its web.
Only certainty is for a local (to Cambridge) to confirm
Allan Morgan

Poynton, Cheshire

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
Michael Agg, the proprietor of Choice Landscapes, died suddenly a few years ago.  His wife Jill carried on running the nursery for a while, but I believe it closed a year or so before CoVid.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

iPlantsman

• Lewis Normand CHort MCIHort FLS
    • iPlantsman Blogsite
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »
Thanks all,

Shame to lose a business with such a wide selection of plants, but understandable.

Lewis

MarcR

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 12:07:38 AM »
A lot of really popular nurseries have been closing in Oregon and California in the last few years.
I am not sure why.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal