We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2022  (Read 25595 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Hepatica 2022
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2022, 10:27:05 PM »
And, I will take initiative  and show a just announced form of double H. acutiloba by Jürgen Peters - hold your breath :)
Gabriela, it is indeed a very special acutiloba, is it a wild form?
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2022, 08:27:08 AM »
Gabriela and Mellifera, Hepatica 'Ann' looks really nice! :)
But the doubles, they are something else.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2022, 04:06:16 PM »
Here also two Acutiloba are in flower
'Ann' and semidouble deep blue

Mellifera, let's please put the right names here for Hepaticas, when possible.

Hepatica 'Ann' it is a hybrid H. acutiloba x H. nobilis var. pyrenaica, I just wrote about it a day ago. So, it shouldn't be given as H. acutiloba.
The semidouble is very beautiful but I also doubt it is pure acutiloba. Such color simply doesn't exist in its wild range.

Please also read Peppa posting, hybrid plants with parentage H. acutiloba as mother will show sharp-lobed leaves.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2022, 04:16:28 PM »
Gabriela, it is indeed a very special acutiloba, is it a wild form?

No Herman, it is not a wild form and he didn't give much details on FB, just that it came from a batch of seeds of some blue H. acutiloba.

Coincidental that we just discussed here about how hybrids with H. acutiloba  as mother will show sharp lobed leaves ;) But until proven wrong...

I wear out many hiking shoes by now scouting the woods and I can say that the deep blue with violet hues, while a common color for H. americana, it is not found in the wild range for H. acutiloba.
That's why I also noted about the color of the semidouble posted by Mellifera. A H. nobilis or H. japonica is involved for sure in parentage.
But again, one can write on the label whatever, as long as people are inclined to pay for them.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2022, 09:40:16 AM »
No Herman, it is not a wild form and he didn't give much details on FB, just that it came from a batch of seeds of some blue H. acutiloba.

Coincidental that we just discussed here about how hybrids with H. acutiloba  as mother will show sharp lobed leaves ;) But until proven wrong...

I wear out many hiking shoes by now scouting the woods and I can say that the deep blue with violet hues, while a common color for H. americana, it is not found in the wild range for H. acutiloba.
That's why I also noted about the color of the semidouble posted by Mellifera. A H. nobilis or H. japonica is involved for sure in parentage.
But again, one can write on the label whatever, as long as people are inclined to pay for them.
Thanks Gabriela, so it is probably not a pure acutiloba. Here it is winter again with melting snow and some frost at night. But next week the temperature will rising again.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2022, 03:21:08 PM »
Thanks Gabriela, so it is probably not a pure acutiloba. Here it is winter again with melting snow and some frost at night. But next week the temperature will rising again.

Who knows Herman, that's the problem, it is impossible to say. I don't understand why some breeders won't give details for the new cultivars.
I personally would not care if it is a pure acutiloba or a hybrid, we can celebrate beautiful plants regardless of the name.

We had a return of the winter as well, next week looks to be milder here as well but not with much sun.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2022, 05:33:19 PM »
Who knows Herman, that's the problem, it is impossible to say. I don't understand why some breeders won't give details for the new cultivars.
I personally would not care if it is a pure acutiloba or a hybrid, we can celebrate beautiful plants regardless of the name.

We had a return of the winter as well, next week looks to be milder here as well but not with much sun.
Might is be a case of raisers not always knowing the full parentage of their plants- it's always easier to know who the mother is, than the father!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gabriela

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
Might is be a case of raisers not always knowing the full parentage of their plants- it's always easier to know who the mother is, than the father!!

Of course Maggi. It is something well known, especially by professional breeders. Hence, it is a question of ethics when labeling the plants.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

mellifera

« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2022, 06:21:25 PM »
Mellifera, let's please put the right names here for Hepaticas, when possible.

Hepatica 'Ann' it is a hybrid H. acutiloba x H. nobilis var. pyrenaica, I just wrote about it a day ago. So, it shouldn't be given as H. acutiloba.
The semidouble is very beautiful but I also doubt it is pure acutiloba. Such color simply doesn't exist in its wild range.

Please also read Peppa posting, hybrid plants with parentage H. acutiloba as mother will show sharp-lobed leaves.

Gabriela, I agree with you. Sorry for that. 'Ann' is a hybrid for sure.
But semidouble dark blue is a real acutiloba from a guy in Danmark. I can ask again if it is a real one.

Simon R

« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2022, 01:01:23 PM »
I have been on a little journey to Andreas Händels open Hepatica weekend and this year it was just the right timing. The Hepatica were just beginning their peak flowering season. Also it was very nice to see some Plant enthusiasts in person again :)

His shade-quarters stood full of either plants in the ground or in pots. The plants in the ground were mostly already selected varieties that he is checking for their suitability to be introduced into cultivation or already introduced clones. Between those there were a lot of Corydalis, Eranthis and Ficaria as you can see on the photo. The plants in pots were mostly seedlings for sale.

It was nice to see that his Severin-Strain is coming up again after some of his plants vanished due to substrate problems as he said. A lot of red double or semidouble seedlings of H. nobilis were showing up among the first time bloomers.

As a little update, he said his Hepatica book might not make it to an english translation. It seems there are some disagreements between him and the photographer who took the flower-portraits. I don't know if that is commonly known already.

On the photos one can see H. n. alpa plena typ `Schlytter`, the Severin-Strain nobilis and some of his growing quarters.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:03:16 PM by Simon R »

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2022, 04:42:36 PM »
I have been on a little journey to Andreas Händels open Hepatica weekend and this year it was just the right timing. The Hepatica were just beginning their peak flowering season. Also it was very nice to see some Plant enthusiasts in person again :)

His shade-quarters stood full of either plants in the ground or in pots. The plants in the ground were mostly already selected varieties that he is checking for their suitability to be introduced into cultivation or already introduced clones. Between those there were a lot of Corydalis, Eranthis and Ficaria as you can see on the photo. The plants in pots were mostly seedlings for sale.

It was nice to see that his Severin-Strain is coming up again after some of his plants vanished due to substrate problems as he said. A lot of red double or semidouble seedlings of H. nobilis were showing up among the first time bloomers.

As a little update, he said his Hepatica book might not make it to an english translation. It seems there are some disagreements between him and the photographer who took the flower-portraits. I don't know if that is commonly known already.

On the photos one can see H. n. alpa plena typ `Schlytter`, the Severin-Strain nobilis and some of his growing quarters.
Simon, I wish I would also been there to see all those treasures! Have you more pictures?
Belgium

Simon R

« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2022, 05:41:21 PM »
It really was a nice day Herman! I took some more pictures but the colors are not good, the reds and violet are difficult to capture, and i was busy looking and talking as well so i did not focus on taking a lot good quality photos :)

Maybe this one, also one from his Severin-Strain with Pollen.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:45:50 PM by Simon R »

Gabriela

« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2022, 09:20:55 PM »
Gabriela, I agree with you. Sorry for that. 'Ann' is a hybrid for sure.
But semidouble dark blue is a real acutiloba from a guy in Danmark. I can ask again if it is a real one.

No problem Patrick. I answered your pm.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2022, 09:25:11 PM »
It really was a nice day Herman! I took some more pictures but the colors are not good, the reds and violet are difficult to capture, and i was busy looking and talking as well so i did not focus on taking a lot good quality photos :)

Maybe this one, also one from his Severin-Strain with Pollen.

I bet you had a great day Simon! Worth entirely the little journey. Thanks for the pictures, indeed some colors are always hard to capture.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »
Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica x japonica is still flowering.

Hepatica 'Millstream Merlin'
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal