We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2022  (Read 25642 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Hepatica 2022
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2022, 09:43:11 PM »
Hepatica nobilis var. pyrenaica
Belgium

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2022, 01:15:48 AM »
This is a Hepatica acutiloba x Hepatica japonica seedling. It is interesting that the plant looked exactly like H. acutiloba until it bloomed. The leaves are the same and the flowers stand upright. The mother H. acutiloba is white and the pollen parent is a purple H. japonica. When I self-pollinate H. acutiloba, almost all seedlings come true from the seeds. However, it is interesting that H. acutiloba will take the color from the pollen parent a high percentage of the time, and so hybrids with other Hepatica species can turn out with similar superficial characteristics as H. actutiloba, but with different colors than would be found in the pure species. This can lead to some confusion if care is not taken, especially in the trade.

Another interesting aspect is that when H. acutiloba is hybridized (when H. acutiloba is the mother plant), the anthers often do not develop fully. The seedlings will be either maiden forms (lack of stamens) or have mutated anthers. It occurs often in garden plants and I have seen some examples of H. acutiloba x H. nobilis with similar results. Rick Lupp once made a wonderful cross of a pale pink H. acutiloba with a lovely deep pink H. nobilis var pyrenaica; the result is a stunning pink maiden with upright flowers and mottled acutiloba leaves. I think H. acutiloba has lots of potential for hybridization as well as within the pure species.

701933-0

701929-1
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 10:57:16 AM by Maggi Young »
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

MarcR

« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2022, 06:49:25 AM »
All the H nobilis I have ever seen are pale blue with white centers. Where do you find the color variations?
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »
This is a Hepatica acutiloba x Hepatica japonica seedling. It is interesting that the plant looked exactly like H. acutiloba until it bloomed. The leaves are the same and the flowers stand upright. The mother H. acutiloba is white and the pollen parent is a purple H. japonica. When I self-pollinate H. acutiloba, almost all seedlings come true from the seeds. However, it is interesting that H. acutiloba will take the color from the pollen parent a high percentage of the time, and so hybrids with other Hepatica species can turn out with similar superficial characteristics as H. actutiloba, but with different colors than would be found in the pure species. This can lead to some confusion if care is not taken, especially in the trade.

Another interesting aspect is that when H. acutiloba is hybridized (when H. acutiloba is the mother plant), the anthers often do not develop fully. The seedlings will be either maiden forms (lack of stamens) or have mutated anthers. It occurs often in garden plants and I have seen some examples of H. acutiloba x H. nobilis with similar results. Rick Lupp once made a wonderful cross of a pale pink H. acutiloba with a lovely deep pink H. nobilis var pyrenaica; the result is a stunning pink maiden with upright flowers and mottled acutiloba leaves. I think H. acutiloba has lots of potential for hybridization as well as within the pure species.
Peppa, very interesting observations. Thanks for sharing.
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2022, 07:53:30 AM »

Very nice seedling, Peppa!
I fully agree that acutiloba has a lot of potential. I especially like the upright position of the flowers. Many cultivars of nobilis and other species often tend to have their flowers laying on the ground.
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Upico

« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2022, 06:23:19 PM »
Various Hepatica nobilis in the woodgarden.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2022, 07:07:40 PM »

Interesting looking seedling Peppa. Of course H. acutiloba has great potential for hybridization. I know some are working with it in this purpose.
It is true that when used as mother plant, usually the seedlings resemble a lot with their 'mama', foliage and habit wise. It must be a character
transmitted through maternal genes. Also in other species crosses the seedlings inherit the foliage from the mother (like H. x media from H. transsilvanica x nobilis).

The only hybrid specimen I have from a controlled pollination (H. acutiloba x H.nobilis var. pyrenaica), also presents foliage typical of H. acutiloba and it is sterile.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 07:09:23 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Nice to see more Hepatica flowering Herman and beautiful colors from H. nobilis Upico!

Unfortunately we are getting back to winter starting today, with low temp. predicted to -12C for next week. I don't know how the buds of some
Hepaticas will react. H. japonica and H. x media and H. transsilvanica are already showing the color. I can only pile more leaves on top and make use of a few blankets; fingers crossed.
H. japonica flower buds stage yesterday.

H. transsilvanica 'Schwanensee' (from seeds) it will be the first flowering.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2022, 02:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am fascinated by H. acutiloba and have been working on them for a while.

Related to what Carsten mentioned in his previous post, it seems like maiden forms of H. acutiloba (mother plant) can also produce maiden form offspring. And like Gabriela mentioned, in my experience many of the maiden forms of H. acutiloba tend to be smaller sized flowers; I have put pollen from larger-flowered examples of H. actuiloba on these maiden flowers and the results seem to have larger flowers than the parent plant.

I have enjoyed everyone’s photos!
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »
Unfortunately we are getting back to winter starting today, with low temp. predicted to -12C for next week.

The same will be here, but most of my plants are still under snow and ice, so I don't know how they will be.
In the earliest spot native H.nobilis are well after a difficult winter (though it is not yet over), and even when the leaves have all gone bad (not in the picture), the fat buds are firm and ready to open when it gets warmer. They are really so hardy little plants.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2022, 02:46:08 PM »
The same will be here, but most of my plants are still under snow and ice, so I don't know how they will be.
In the earliest spot native H.nobilis are well after a difficult winter (though it is not yet over), and even when the leaves have all gone bad (not in the picture), the fat buds are firm and ready to open when it gets warmer. They are really so hardy little plants.

Everything should be well under snow Leena. All my japonicas were looking super good after the snowmelt.
I am worried about the buds which are already a bit open, but nothing I can do. The cold will continue into April it seems. Some years, Hepaticas start flowering in the first week of April :'(
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #236 on: March 27, 2022, 02:54:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am fascinated by H. acutiloba and have been working on them for a while.

Related to what Carsten mentioned in his previous post, it seems like maiden forms of H. acutiloba (mother plant) can also produce maiden form offspring. And like Gabriela mentioned, in my experience many of the maiden forms of H. acutiloba tend to be smaller sized flowers; I have put pollen from larger-flowered examples of H. actuiloba on these maiden flowers and the results seem to have larger flowers than the parent plant.
I have enjoyed everyone’s photos!

Regarding maiden forms of acutiloba, here are 2 that I found only last year, one with tiny but colorful flowers.

and a white one; it has just a few anthers which is good for confirmation of pure species (white connectives).

Our spring will be short and intense, so I will post now the hybrid H. acutiloba x H. nobilis var. pyrenaica I mentioned; it is not my cross, just to be clear. I don't have a breeding program for Hepaticas (yet). A most beautiful multipetala, the color is hard to catch; sterile, remains in flower very long.
Hepatica 'Ann'

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:56:46 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2022, 02:59:31 PM »
And, I will take initiative  and show a just announced form of double H. acutiloba by Jürgen Peters - hold your breath :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

mellifera

« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2022, 09:59:37 PM »
Here also two Acutiloba are in flower
'Ann' and semidouble deep blue
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:17:44 PM by mellifera »

mellifera

« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2022, 10:03:56 PM »
A few more:
H. transsilvanica 'Barbarossa'
H. transsilvanica 'Conny Greenfield'
H. Alba Plena 'Stockholm'
H. Alba Plena 'England'
H. Nobilis 'Edith'
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:22:05 PM by mellifera »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal