We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chelsea Flower Show-worth it or not?  (Read 1320 times)

Jan Jeddeloh

Chelsea Flower Show-worth it or not?
« on: October 31, 2021, 12:03:35 AM »
I've had this hankering to go to the Chelsea Flower Show just once in my life.  Is it worth it for a hard core chlorophilliac?  I've got a dry rock garden, a crevice garden, a bog garden, perennial beds and veg beds.  I'm seriously around the bend with regards to gardening.  I've watched the BBC coverage on Britbox so I know the show gardens are much better done than anything you'll find around my parts.  We get the cover the pots with bark dust kind of display gardens around here.  Very uninspiring.  I looked at exhibitor lists and noticed Chelsea defines garden related quite loosely. 

So is Chelsea worth it?  Would it be better to go to one of the other RHS shows instead? 

Thank,
Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

majallison

Re: Chelsea Flower Show-worth it or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 09:13:21 PM »
It is quite a spectacle & probably worth going for a day, although it's largely perceived as a social event than for the horticulture; but I'd recommend visiting some of the gardens that are open & readily accessible from London, if you're going to be based there... places like Great Dixter, Sissinghurst, Exbury, Kew Gardens, Wisley, Botanic Gardens at Oxford & Cambridge, Rousham... there are many, many good things! Also, fabulous gardens in Scotland, if you can get there, Edinburgh Botanics, Branklyn, Crathes Castle...
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 01:16:19 AM »
Ian Young has spoiled Chelsea for me!
He has the opportunity to go when the Joint Rock Committee meet on the day before it's open to the general public (or at least has done so in the past). After hearing his stories of wandering around the exhibits without being crowded I wouldn't want to see it any other way. I guess I'm not that great at being jam-packed in a crowd - even before Covid!
We don't have the opportunity to visit now anyway so it's a moot point.
Jan,
even if you can't re-create every garden you see there you will get inspiration from some.
I agree that if you have the time go visit some of the other gardens, especially Kew and Wisley.
Garden visiting can be as addictive as gardening itself!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Vinny 123

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 08:18:39 AM »
Members' day is the day before the general public can visit. Anyone can join the RHS - not cheap, but compared to the cost of visiting from the US.........

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
Seriously - give it a miss

You could not get near anything - it was just a rip off from start to finish

You could not buy anything - everything was pay, and we will post it to you - and everything was 3 times the price it normally is to cover the extortionate cost of the stands

Certainly won't ever be going back ever again

It's a social event for people who want to say they have been to Chelsea
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

ian mcdonald

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 11:12:26 PM »
I,ve never been to the show but I think the admission price would probably buy a garden full of plants from a nursery. The TV coverage is a waste of time, focussing on "staged" gardens costing thousands of pounds and repeated every day. I think Graeme has it right. Once people are there they think they will get a bargain. Add the cost of travelling and it sounds like an expensive day out. The show has become an architectural showcase rather than a gardening event.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 11:30:46 PM »
If you plan to visit other gardens, check out their opening days before you go.  I found it tricky to visit them as nearby ones weren't necessarily open on the same or adjacent days, so I had to zigzag a lot.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

brianw

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »
I have visited on an RHS member ticket and worked there many times on the AGS stand and another. When it opens first thing in the morning it is super; 2 hours later usually difficult to see the stands. Ok in the late afternoon and evening too. On an organised trip you will usually be there at the worst time of day, so do it yourself if you can. The weather makes a difference too of course. If its warm and sunny the crowds are out of the marquee in the grounds. If its dull and raining you can't move in the marquee. We are only a small island; if you have your own transport here you can see an awful lot of gardens in a reasonable stay. PS We drive on the left ;-)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:16:56 AM by brianw »
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 06:41:47 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I'm still leaning towards going if for no other reason than to say I've gone.  I had already heard that you get your butt up early and get there when it opens to avoid the crowds.  Maybe the way to do it would be to go over two or three days but clear out and go elsewhere when the crowds hit.  I've tried to find attendance numbers for the various days but my google fu has failed me.  I would plan to get an RHS membership before I went so I could go on member's days unless I find out they have worse crowds than other day.  My plan would be to just throw money at the whole thing figuring food, admission and anything else I want will be sky high.  In the overall scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a Europe visit from the west coast of the US. 

I also know hotel costs will be sky high because Chelsea attracts people from all over.

Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

violar

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 10:20:56 AM »
It is absolutely worth going, if you don't mind crowds. There is a section for small suburban gardens.
It's a while since I have been, but Chelsea is alway sold out, and very crowded:, so you must book a ticket in advance.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 08:57:42 AM by violar »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal