We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Small growing alpines with fragrant leaves - suggestions wanted  (Read 1050 times)

Nick

Small growing alpines with fragrant leaves - suggestions wanted
« on: September 01, 2021, 10:51:16 AM »
Hi folks, i grow alpines in troughs and whilst i love fragrant flowers, i also love plants that have fragrant foliage so i can enjoy them through the year.  Any suggestions for fragrant small growers would be most welcome, as seedlist time time will soon be upon us 😉
Thanks
Nick

Nick

Re: Small growing alpines with fragrant leaves - suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 12:45:40 PM »
Found one - Artemisia minor - there must be more……
I have various Pelargoniums and Albuca spp which are pleasantly fragrant, but they arent frost-hardy i think.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »
Loads of cute little Thymus to give pretty flowers and scented foliage..... need to get brain in gear  for  some  more!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:34:16 PM »
Hi Nick,

Extending the Thymus theme, most of the Lamiaceae have scented foliage. There are some genera with very dwarf forms such as Teucrium, Salvia, Origanum, Scutellaria etc. Most of them need a lot of sun and very good drainage.

On the bulbous front there are lots of dwarf Allium, most of which have scented foliage.

Not really an alpine as such but chamomile is dwarf. I suppose it could be grown in a trough - maybe a good one to underplant with bulbs?

Most Geranium and Erodium also have scented foliage (not as good as Pelargonium admittedly). Though most are too big for a trough, some are dwarf especially the Erodiums.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:08 AM »
Corsican mint
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Nick

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I need to choose with care as i suspect Corican mint would soon render my troughs a monoculture  - perhaps one for the lawn though.  I also found a few Saxifrages that have aromatic foliage S. vredayana and moncayensis for example, but they are a bit on the big side for a trough i think. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:06:16 AM by Nick »

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »
Lucky you with Corsican mint.  It grows ans an annual for me in my cold zone, and a friend nearby tells me that sometimes it survives the winter.  From our point of view, it's hard to believe such a tiny plant could be so thuggish!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal