We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica seeds 2022  (Read 4060 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Hepatica seeds 2022
« on: August 07, 2021, 05:10:24 PM »
Wondering if anyone wants to trade some seeds in 2022?

I have a couple plants, all are white. Want to get different colors. I did buy two packets of both types from this site, haven't arrived yet. They are in stock, so if anyone is looking for fresh seeds chilled in  USA
https://www.prairiemoon.com/search.html?Search=Hepatica

Have Crocus, Snowdrops, Cyclamen, Hellebore

693503-4
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 05:17:55 PM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
Re: Hepatica seeds 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 12:48:17 AM »
Seed packets have arrived. Thinking I'm going to make a new bed and sow outside and see what happens.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 12:16:46 AM »
It would be interesting to show if you can take pictures, how those chilled Hepatica seeds are looking Guff.

I never tried to keep them chilled right away after collecting, but I think Dr. Deno has tried to keep like this Trillium grandiflorum fresh seeds.

Despite what the above mentioned company is saying on its website, Hepatica seeds require for best germination first a slightly warm period (like it would happen in late summer/early fall) followed by a cold period (winter).

Your best bet is indeed to sow them right away. If they look dehydrated maybe soak them in water for a few hours before sowing (I have no idea what's inside those pkc., so I just speculate here).

If you would follow the Hepatica thread I think there is a lot of good info there.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 01:36:18 AM »
Sorry Gabriela , didn't take any pictures of the seeds. I did think about it(taking pics of seeds) , but they looked good as far as I could tell. Probably could have been soaked first, but I was in a hurry to get them planted.

Made a 2ft x 2ft, 1 1/2ft deep(1ft compost). I had dug down another 6 inches to loosen the clay and left it. Filled with screened leaf compost. Then a very fine screened leaf compost on top of seeds. Then topped it off with old pine needles, so heavy rains wouldn't erode the bed. Probably going to remove most of the needles in the Fall. I did mound up some clay around the bed, so it won't erode. Bed is on a sloped bank.

696733-4
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:00:54 PM by Guff »

Gabriela

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 12:36:50 AM »
I guess is as good as it gets Duff.
Don't forget to add a layer of leaves on top of it in late fall; it will help with the ground heave in the winter and early spring.
(I also recommend a mesh of some sort if you have garden critters around, they especially like to 'play' in  freshly worked soil).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

MarcR

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 04:08:20 AM »
Gabriela,

You are quite correct that Hepatica germinate best with 4-6 weeks at 20c followed by a move to 4C until germination occurs.  I think the theory behind cold storage is that without the initial period at 20C, the seeds will not germinate in the cold.

Hepatica seeds are best planted fresh; and do NOT store well in warm temperatures.  By putting them immediately into storage at 4C, one both keeps them from germinating and keeps them from spoiling.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 04:11:54 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 10:27:33 PM »
Was looking at my bed, and saw this. This a Hepatica?

Seeds that have germinated in the past usually have a dark brown/purple/green mix of colors to cotyledon

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 10:48:07 PM »
Last year I had collected seeds and planted in another spot. These Hepatica seedlings?

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 05:50:32 PM »
Yes Guff, I'd say so.  For comparison, here are this year's seedlings of H. nobilis:

704060-1

Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 07:39:04 PM »
Ashley thanks.

Under lights and cool temps will Hepatica seedlings continue to put up new leaves? Just wondering if it's worth trying to grow some through the winter in my basement with the next batch of seeds.

Thanks for info

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 08:46:00 AM »
Probably Guff, although I've never tried it.
Here I just sow the seed in a cool shaded place as soon as it's ripe (normally May), then the seedlings appear the following spring.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 07:21:16 PM »
Ashley thanks.
Under lights and cool temps will Hepatica seedlings continue to put up new leaves? Just wondering if it's worth trying to grow some through the winter in my basement with the next batch of seeds.

Thanks for info

Guff - I sometimes transplant seedlings in February/March and grow them under lights in the garage (cool temp.) while outside is still too cold. Most develop new leaves by May when they can usually be put outdoors.

But in the end it doesn't matter much because Hepatica seedlings seem to have a 'predetermined' growth/year, meaning that at some point they stop growing new leaves. I only prick out seedlings so early sometime because it is when I have more free time.
I believe they develop/grow better in the natural light.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 11:37:32 PM »
Want to thank forums members that sent seed, thank you very much.

This is the bed that I made and had extended. At some point only Helleborus Thibetanus plants will be in this raised bed. I have another spot planned for the Hepatica seedlings, when they are big enough to dig and replant in a few years time.

I had Hellebore seedlings on the right side, and a few more to dig and replant still. Not sure if I will get to it this year, only because there are a couple thousand Snowdrop bulbs in there as well and I don't have the compost to dig and replant them.

Last picture, replanted Hellebore.

Jeffnz

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 01:34:44 AM »
Hellebores look very happy in that location.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 04:30:41 PM »
Jeff, there are 30 replanted. I would probably do more with Hellebore's, just don't have the compost like I used to for all my projects I have going. There are thousands of seedlings in other beds I made years ago..........just need to be dug, most die off from lack of light from the mother plants.

I am getting back to breeding Daylilies, Haven't done any crosses in 6 years. Decided to get back to work on my blue eyed crosses I made years ago.

First one really doesn't have a blue eye, but it does have Tetra Blue Baby as parent, and it has the shape i like.

Guess it does have some blue colors to the eye. It was crossed both ways, hope I get pods to grow....

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 05:12:59 PM by Guff »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal