Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

The yellow peril

<< < (2/3) > >>

MarcR:
Here in the USA I use either VAPAM or methyl bromide under tarp.
I imagine that if insecticides are banned in the UK, then VAPAM and methyl bromide probably are as well.

Of course this can only be used before planting the area to be treated.

After an area is planted the only thing I can think of, Vinny, is your suggestion of relentless weeding.

Vinny 123:

--- Quote from: MarcR on April 04, 2022, 03:08:09 PM ---Here in the USA I use either VAPAM or methyl bromide under tarp.
I imagine that if insecticides are banned in the UK, then VAPAM and methyl bromide probably are as well.

--- End quote ---

The only use that I recall for methyl bromide for fumigating imported and/or stored grain and similar bulk organic goods. It is indeed banned in the EU/UK, and hs been for quite some while.

The active ingredient in Vapam (a name unknown to me) is currently metam sodium (also known by various other names). It is "unpleasant" to both humans and the environment but, surprisingly, currently licenced for use in the EU/UK, probably only for professional use though as it isn't a chemical that I recall hearing about in connection with amateur-use garden chemicals.

Weeding need not be relentless over a long period, just make sure it is done often enough that rootstocks have no time to build-up more reserves. Thistle roots severed during digging will break several inches down and in friable soil, new shoots will usually break where they join the old root when pulled.

Palustris:
I did once get rid of Equisetum from our second garden. It took a long time though. I pulled out every stem I found ever day  when I came home from work. After about 5 years or so it gave up. Mind that was only a very small patch of it. 1 sq mt at most.

MarcR:
Vinny,

In the course of doing the undergraduate work for my teaching credential, I completed an AS in Ornamental Horticulture to relieve my boredom.
Though I never used it to earn a living i got licensed as an agricultural pest control operator.  I therefore have access to things not available to most gardeners.
Here in the USA Malathion is available to anyone; but Methyl Bromide is not.
VAPAM is available without a license in some states but not in others.

Vinny 123:

--- Quote from: Palustris on April 04, 2022, 05:40:30 PM ---I did once get rid of Equisetum from our second garden. It took a long time though. I pulled out every stem I found ever day  when I came home from work. After about 5 years or so it gave up. Mind that was only a very small patch of it. 1 sq mt at most.

--- End quote ---

LLLOL! Only 5 years   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version