Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

Pest Problem

<< < (5/6) > >>

MarcR:
Arnold,

Cox Orange Pippin is a very uncommon apple!

The only nursery I am aware of that sells it is Trees of Antiquity, in Paso Robles, CA. [formerly Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery, in Santa Rosa].

They grow theirs on MM111.

Vinny 123:

--- Quote from: MarcR on June 28, 2022, 02:15:10 AM ---Arnold,

Cox Orange Pippin is a very uncommon apple!

The only nursery I am aware of that sells it is Trees of Antiquity, in Paso Robles, CA. [formerly Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery, in Santa Rosa].

They grow theirs on MM111.

--- End quote ---

Cox are uncommon outside of commercial orchards, even in the UK - they are susceptible to every disease known to man, plus other problems. They are grown because of their unique and very popular taste.

What I suspect is either a cross or selection of Cox' Orange Pippin is grown in NZ and shipped to the UK when our stocks are out of season - it looks very similar, slightly glossier, but the flavour is very poor.

Palustris:
Not sure this would be any use on trees, but it did work on plants in pots.
Neudorff 250 ml Pyrol Bug and Larvae Killer

Robert:

--- Quote from: ArnoldT on June 27, 2022, 11:10:46 PM ---Robert

Thanks,  I will have to try and research the root stocks on the apple trees I have.  They are all grown as a Belgian fence espalier.

I have Cox's Orange Pippin, Esopus Spitzenberg, Arkansas Black  and  Calville Blanc d'hiver.

--- End quote ---

Hi Arnold,

Cox’s Orange Pippen Apple does poorly in our Placerville orchard. This variety seems to dislike the hot, dry summers. Higher on the mountain, about 3,500 feet elevation, orchardists seem to have much more success with this variety (they have much cooler summers).

I have not grown Esopus Spitzenburg since the 1980’s. We always fall budded a few trees for retail sales and they seemed to sell on name recognition.

Arkansas Black is one of our favorite apple varieties. I have one tree in the Placerville orchard that has been producing heavy crops most years for more than 30 years. We let the apples hang on the tree until early November. A light frost on the hanging fruit seems to bring out the best favor. They store extremely well in cold storage or a cool, frost-free location. I grafted a tree for one of our Sacramento neighbors about 10 years ago. This tree is producing apples now. We still have enough winter chilling hours for this variety to set fruit in Sacramento. Based on my observations and comments for other farmers in the Central Valley of California adequate chilling hours is becoming an issue with a number of nuts and fruits, especially in the San Joaquin Valley.

Calville Blanc d’hiver is a fabulous apple variety. Currently we have one tree at our Sacramento home. It produces divinely flavorful apples consistently every year. Currently the tree is loaded with apples. I will be grafting more to plant in Placerville. The fruit seems to hold well in cold storage, however they rarely hang around long after picking.

If you feel inclined, I would love to hear about your observations and opinions on the fruit trees in our garden/orchard.

ArnoldT:
Robert

I've had the apples in my little suburban espalier garden in New Jersey for over 30 years.  Our greatest challenge is pollination.  We rarely see bees these days.  Our local County government decided that we needed the entire are sprayed for mosquitos so they drove a  truck up and down our streets spraying a very toxic   pesticide to anything that flies.

I get relative small fruit set these days.  Plenty of flowers.  This year the Caville Blanc set no fruit.  I purchased  the trees from a espalier tree dealer out at the end of Long Island.  He sells whips and some already trained trees.  I believe he may have Cox's Orange.  https://www.henryleuthardtnurseries.com/  He apparently is responsible for the pollarded London planes at the UN in NYC.

Our summers are hot and wet which may be to liking of the Cox's Orange. I've adopted a strict organic approach to pest control.

Use Spinosad, Neem and BT for most of the issues that come along.

There is a web site run by Cornell University that lets you know the pest stage so spraying has a maximum effect.  You plug in the nearest airport and it will give you degree days and stages of the pest and when to treat.
https://newa.cornell.edu/user

Second problem is that our local squirrels take fruit and runs off with it.  I have solved that problem with a remay sack I put over the fruit when it gets big enough.  There's even a twist tie on the top of the bag to allow easier fixation.

My real treasures are the pears.  I have a number of espalier Passe Crassane, Beurre Grifard and Magness.  The Magness was introduced in the 60's and does very well here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version