Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

Camellia problem

<< < (2/3) > >>

ashley:
The suggestions above seem most likely but is contamination of the mulch, e.g. with herbicide, a possibility?

Carolyn:
Ashley,
I think if it was herbicide damage, you would see damage in the leaves as well as the buds. The leaves look OK to me.

ashley:
Agreed Carolyn, and nearby plants look OK too, so at least that option can be discounted.

David Nicholson:
Many thanks everyone for your help.

Herman's view that my plant might be short of magnesium may well be right and I shall dose my plant with Epsom Salts if I can find some.

Carolyn's view that I may have kept the plant too dry through the Summer, and I plead guilty to that. As I said the bed gets a composted bark mulch every year and it might be to deeply rooted now.

Ashley, the leaves on mine are fairy stable but have always had it's fair share of yellowed ones hence the need for an iron tonic each year.

Ian, I am used to white flowers on another Camellia suffering browning from frost but I don't think that is the case with my red one.

Arnold, thanks for your paper, very interesting. I don't know when it was fist published but you seem to have a fair range of chemical aids available to help with problems. Not the case in the UK these days!

I did read somewhere that to much Potassium could be a culprit too.

I think over the next few days I will remove all the buds and the give the plant a spray of some kind. The I shall give it a whirl with the Epsom Salts instead of iron tonic. If I have the same problem next yearthen it's time will be numbered!

Carolyn:
If I have the same problem next yearthen it's time will be numbered!
[/quote]

Yeah, just give it a good talking-to, David. That should do the trick!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version