Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

Camellia problem

<< < (3/3)

Jeffnz:
I think that there are some camellias that are inherently prone to showing yellow leaves, I agree with the other suggested remedy's and suggest a does of dilute Epsom salts, mag sulphate.
Well established camellias do produce a strong deep rooted root system and from my experience reasonably dry tolerant.

Carolyn:

--- Quote from: Jeffnz on April 22, 2021, 01:44:41 AM ---I think that there are some camellias that are inherently prone to showing yellow leaves, I agree with the other suggested remedy's and suggest a does of dilute Epsom salts, mag sulphate.
Well established camellias do produce a strong deep rooted root system and from my experience reasonably dry tolerant.

--- End quote ---

I always thought camellias were shallow rooted, so decided to investigate. Camelliainternational.org has some useful info, including this:

In most gardens around the world camellias thrive in slightly acidic soil with a texture providing good drainage, with air round the roots. As camellias grow they form deep roots for anchorage, a spreading fibrous root system to absorb water and nutrients and---surface roots, which become more obvious as plants reach maturity.

Always learning...... thanks Jeff!

Presumably the surface roots like to be near the surface, so a thick mulch would not be a good idea. The article also talks about too much sun causing buds to shrivel and drop. Has it been too sunny in Devon, David???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version