We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranzania  (Read 3732 times)

MarcR

Re: Ranzania
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2023, 04:24:23 AM »
I have found it relatively easy to get seed of Ranzania japonica to germinate but failed in many attempts to keep seedlings alive beyond a couple of year,s or to keep plants (from Japan) alive through winter and have given up hope of seeing a flower.  ....... (Attachment Link)

Buddy,

You might try framing a box with 1" X 2" lumber or pvc pipe and coveriing it with polyethyline film. invert the box over your Ranzanias for the Winter and hand water as needed.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Ranzania
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 12:22:15 AM »
This spring I have had good germination of Ranzania seeds supplied completely dry from Japan (in my previous purchases they were damp packed) - 6 seedling of the normal form and 3 seedling (so far) of forma alba.

The devil is in the details Buddy. All hydrophilic seeds can withstand a short dry storage. It is hard to say for all species what length the dry storage should be so that they still germinate well. Most are OK if kept dry for 2-3 weeks from my experience.

I also received my Ranzania and Jeffersonia dubia seeds in dry form from Yuzawa and there was good germination. But they were fresh, plus as mentioned on their website few years ago, they keep the seeds in moist beds and take them out just before shipping (so, a sort of moist packing just not for delivery).

I hope you have good growing with the seedlings.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal