We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 13598 times)

kris

Re: April 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 09:03:20 PM »
Hi Kris,

I am so pleased that the snowdrops have survived.

Woronowii has broad bright green leaves.

Elwesii has broad grayish green leaves and the tips are pinched together.

Nivalis  has narrower grayish green leaves.  I think the ones I sent you have double flowers.

Thanks Diane
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

kris

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:17 PM »
G.elwesii has two green markings in the inner of the flower (that is what made me think they are G.elwesii), I don't think G.woronowii ever does. And the leaves are different like Diane wrote.
Whatever you have, it is so good that they have survived your winters and bring you white early flowers:).
Leena like you said the flower has 2 inner markings and as Diane said the leaves are broader.  May be a hybrid? Like Leena said it is lovely and the flowers are larger. Growing snow drops in Saskatoon is challenging. I am happy they survived our winter. Thanks again Diane
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »
Leena like you said the flower has 2 inner markings and as Diane said the leaves are broader.  May be a hybrid? Like Leena said it is lovely and the flowers are larger. Growing snow drops in Saskatoon is challenging. I am happy they survived our winter. Thanks again Diane

Glad to see that spring has also arrived in SK Kris, the image with Colchicum vernum is superb.

The snowdrops we can buy here in Canada are most often marked G. elwesii, G. woronowii or G. nivalis. But of course, some packets have mixed species. I am not a Galanthus connoisseur, just happy with all of them that grow and establish well here. I noticed they do better in locations where the snow doesn't linger too, too long. So I plant/move some of them accordingly in spots that receive more sun in early spring.

This one may be G. woronowii, the last to flower here, all the others faded by now.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 07:01:27 AM »
Gabriela,  it looks like G.woronowii to me.
Here is a picture of mine, and leaves are typical bright green. A bit like Leucojum vernum leaves.
Spring is advancing very slowly here, most nights it is still below freezing, but snowdrops and early crocuses are flowering well and yesterday it was sunny and all were open. Today it rains again.
Leena from south of Finland

kris

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 02:06:30 PM »
Here is a picture of mine, and leaves are typical bright green. A bit like Leucojum vernum leaves.
Spring is advancing very slowly here, most nights it is still below freezing, but snowdrops and early crocuses are flowering well and yesterday it was sunny and all were open. Today it rains again.
spring gives us lot of pleasure. Everyday walking around to see what is coming up is always exciting!!
Leena your crocus looks lovely. Somehow they are short lived in our area.
Here are two pictures taken yesterday in the garden.
Adonis ramosa
Adonis amurensis
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »
In the garden & greenhouse today.
Trillium albidum
Trillium kurabayashii/albidum & last of the corydalis solida seedlings to flower
Trillium kuabayashii, first seedlings to flower in the garden nearly 30 years old now being surrounded by a Rhododendron Yaku Fairy.
Trillium camschatcense Nemuro
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »

Thanks Leena, it is similar with yours for sure. I like a slow spring, all ephemerals are flowering better and remain in flower long.
I don't understand how the Leucojum is flowering with you! here only the leaves are up.
We will get back to more seasonal temp. starting Sunday.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 07:04:44 PM »
Mike, very nice Trilliums, they also seems to like your garden!
Belgium

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 09:04:07 PM »
Mike, very nice Trilliums, they also seems to like your garden!
They grow well for me Herman, all but T. Rivale which always dies off in the garden so I now only grow it in pots.
In 2013 this group was wonderful in 2014 nothing appeared.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
They grow well for me Herman, all but T. Rivale which always dies off in the garden so I now only grow it in pots.
In 2013 this group was wonderful in 2014 nothing appeared.
Mike, that was indeed a wonderful group of rivale. Here it is a bit the same, only a few seedlings here and there but never a big clump.
Belgium

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2021, 12:36:41 AM »
Such eye candy from everyone !!!  I am always after nearly everyone else.  Corydalis solida opened its first flowers yesterday.

Crocus don't seem to last well here, either, but I think I get my best long term results in the lawn:
686248-0

Pulsatilla flavescens (or P.f. hybrid) really dwindled this season with only two flowers.  Weather has been all rainy, I hope I get seed, Kris!
686426-1

Trillium sessile 'Clear Creek'. A wild clone from Illinois, USA selected by a friend.
686252-2

Dirca palustris - Atlantic Leatherwood
686428-3

Little Draba novolympica seedlings are always cute.
686256-4
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 05:16:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Leena

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »
Mike, really nice big Trilliums!

Rick, what a beautiful little T.sessile.
Mostly Crocuses do well in my garden, except there is always a danger of voles, and every once in a while they eat some:(. I want them to grow naturally in the garden, so I only keep the seedlings in pots for two or three years.

I don't understand how the Leucojum is flowering with you! here only the leaves are up.

I haven't given it much thought, but here Leucojums flower around the same time as snowdrops, that is after the snow is gone. They never come up into the snow like snowdrops do, but when snow has melted they are very fast to come. So they start a bit later than the majority of snowdrops but flowering is about the same time. Funny that it is so late over there when you have many other plants more advanced than they are here. Could it be a matter of origin, though most of mine are commercial Dutch clone, and one is from Estonia.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »
Only three and a half centimetres high...and yet something "big" for me...Primula renifolia.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2021, 07:45:33 AM »
This year we have had snow, hail and sleet every day in April. It has never happened before in the 35 years I have lived here. More snowy days in April than we usually get in a whole year!

Narcissus cyclamineus in the lawn.

686451-0

Some mountain species seems to enjoy the snow!

Heloniopsis orientalis

686453-1

Soldanella sp

686455-2

Shortia sp.

686457-3
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Leena

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »
Also here it snowed a little yesterday (must be the same snow as in Norway :)), but it melted right away, luckily. Last night was below freezing again, but today it was sunny and nice.
Bulbocodium vernum and some unnamed crocuses behind.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal